We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone ill after returning from RIU Ochos Rios???

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Anyone ill after returning from RIU Ochos Rios???

Was sick last year at the Bachatta and now I have been ill since returning on Saturday. Got home at 5:30pm and had a fever of 104 and all that goes with it since. Anyone else ill? Heading to the doctors today....here we go again.

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
621 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone ill after returning from RIU Ochos Rios???

That's an awful way to spend the end of a vacation. Please update on how you are doing. What other symptoms if you don't mind my asking? Hope that you feel better soon.

-Leah

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
849 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone ill after returning from RIU Ochos Rios???

Got back yesterday and I am feeling great! So is the rest of my family. Sorry you are ill

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone ill after returning from RIU Ochos Rios???

Got back last week not even a tummy ache. Hope you feel better. It is flu season. Maybe you should take your vacations in the spring.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone ill after returning from RIU Ochos Rios???

They think it could be salmonella or e-coli. Will have to wait for test results to come in.

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
621 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone ill after returning from RIU Ochos Rios???

Hi, ew,

I'm very sorry to hear that. This can be very dangerous, not only because of the bacteria but also because illnesses like that trigger more problems. I got salmonella about five years ago(from Taco Bell!), and that triggered a series of auto immune diseases like mono and an h-pylori bacterial infection, which causes ulcers. It was really crazy but all started with salmonella, so I thought I would mention it. Please make sure to take extra vitamins and excercise as much as possible as soon as you feel better. My joints locked up and have been dealing with arthritis since, and I'm in my twenties. :( Sorry to go on, I'm sure you are already know those things, I would just hate for that domino effect to happen to you. Really hope that you feel better!! :)

-Leah

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone ill after returning from RIU Ochos Rios???

Hi EW 1968 hope you are feeling better. Hope it was none of the above ailments. I got salmonella from a McChicken "normal". Keep us posted. RIU should also know about this if it is either salmonella or e-coli. A natural home remedy for travel bugs is to get pure citrus extract and take several drops, several times a day. (This is supposed to be a natural way to kill any foreign bugs.) Tastes bitter - but well worth it if it works. Let me know. You can get this stuff at any vitamin/natural store as well as Loblaws. Folks I know travel with it to stop montazuma dead in his (your) tracks. All the best from Courtice.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone ill after returning from RIU Ochos Rios???

My son got gravely ill at the Bachata last year too! Had to have 3 bags of IV and 2 shots. I think it had to do with the Dominican though. Been to Jamaica 5 times and never got sick.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone ill after returning from RIU Ochos Rios???

Feeling better. Done and over with, would I go back to Jamacia? In a heartbeat, maybe not a RIU, sick 2 years in a row at their resorts is enough for me to pass on the RIU Chain of hotels.

Windsor,Ontario
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone ill after returning from RIU Ochos Rios???

It seem that everyone always blames the resort but airplane could also cause this. Airplanes are not clean at all and bathrooms are horrible on then