We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back from riu

Atlanat, GA
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Just got back from riu

I Arrived at the RIU at 4pm on wednesday after a nearly 3 hour bus ride. Our first room was on the first floor with a lousy view. To top it off the jacuzzi, safe lock and AC did not work. Yikes! But no problem mon! Maintenace was up in a jiffy and took care of everything.

I went to the beach area and had a few drinks. The drinks are mostly ice cream with rum on top or beer. The beach is really really nice, plenty of chairs and real estate. Water is mostly clear and turquoise blue. I thought the snorkeling was pretty cool and there are reefs in wading distance from the beach.

I went down to book a restaurant and all were booked solid until after our trip was over. This was no good for me, I went to the lobby and argued with a PR rep and Manager and stated my case about my room with the lousy view and the restaurant situation for probably a good hour or 2. They were really flexible and moved me to a 3rd floor room with an awesome ocean view and gave me a free nights stay at the hotel. That was good enough for me. The only problem with that was I was going to be eating pizza every night and it is pretty awful. I really cant get angry at the staff though, they were friendly, hard working, and you could tell they were trying. If I had to do it again I probably would have ate more of my meals in town or at the jerk shack.

Overall, I had a great time.. sure there were a few glitches but that is to be expected coming from a brand new place.. This was my first trip to jamaica and I loved it. It is a beautiful country and the people are really nice.

If anyone has any questions about the resort let me know and I will be glad to answer in detail.

ontario
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back from riu

Did you book a standard room or oceanview room? Is there much difference between those 2 rooms? I booked oceanview room for Dec 12. Did they change the way to make reservation at the restaurant? I read that now people have to go to each restaurant to make reservation?

Did you go to Dunns River? Can we take a taxi there ? how much will It cost? How far from the resort?

Thanks. Tony

Atlanat, GA
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back from riu

I booked a Jr Suite Ocean View. The Jr Suite is a little bigger than the standard rooms. You get jacuzzi tub, sofa bed, a bigger balcony and access to japanese restaurant. I ate at the japanese restaurant once, it wasnt too bad. You pretty much just go in front of the restaurant at 10am to make a reservation. I went to dunns river and had a blast. It is maybe only 5 minutes from the resort and we booked it through our travel agency air jamaica who had staff on site to book tours. We paid $60 for the dunns river. Some people here have had luck getting a taxi to dunns river for much cheaper (its only $15 a person at the park) but obviously you do this at your own risk.

Dont worry about some of the negative reviews, you will have a great time just go there thinking positive.

Toronto
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back from riu

ok - so i keep hearing about the terrible situation not being able to get into the booked restaurants for the entire duration of your trip - but what is the solution??? how do you get a reservation at the restaurants?!!

nj
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got back from riu

we had the same problem the restaurants are way too small to accommodate the size of this resort. they want you to eat at the buffets (it cheaper to feed the masses) we resolved our own problems we would arrive before the designated seating (7 and 9) talk with the maitre'd make it worth his while and got seated. most of the time the restaurants are half full we had it out with the GM and he had no answers for us very poor systems for sub par food.