We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RIU Ocho Rios December 3 - 10th.....anyone going???

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Topic
RIU Ocho Rios December 3 - 10th.....anyone going???

This will be our first trip to Jamaica. Any kids traveling this week? We have 2 girls, 10 and 6, looking forward to meeing new friends. Did not have a great expereince with a RIU in the Dominican so I am hoping this trip will make up for it.

Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: RIU Ocho Rios December 3 - 10th.....anyone going???

Miles mom, thats nice that you can travel like that. I only wish. Well heck I should be glad after 6 years of being married this is our honeymoon. We went to a lodge ,but I said it didnt count until we were on a beach together. My hubby also doesnt read these reviews, soooo. I can tell ya he's scared to death of flying. I told him last year,hunny ! I wanna go to a warm climate this winter. I went alright ,with my sister.

Anyhoo. I have a nephew whose name is Miles. He is a lot older. 18 , I think. Well I hope I bump into ya while we are there.

Jill

Waldorf, Maryland
Level Contributor
296 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: RIU Ocho Rios December 3 - 10th.....anyone going???

Hi Jill,

My husband was afraid to fly as well. Our honeymoon was his first flight and he's been hooked ever since. My brother in law hadn't flown and didn't want to fly either when we scheduled a trip to the Bahamas. When my sister said she'd go without him, he quickly changed his mind. So I take it, you've never been to Jamaica? Have you visited any other islands? I hope we'll get to see each other as well. It would nice to connect a face with the e-mails.

Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: RIU Ocho Rios December 3 - 10th.....anyone going???

milesmom,hello. No I haven't been to Jamaica before. My first trip was last year with my sister. We went to the DR for a week. My hubby said , Jill ,you're not getting me on no darn airplane. So I tried to persuade him a little more, and basically said just because he doesn't want to see the world,doesn't mean I don't. So he stayed home & lemme tell ya when I returned home he was like ,you're never goin without me again.

(He missed me) So I said okay then and we have been planning our trip since then. LOL. But I do feel bad for him being nervous about flying. I was last year ,also. So ,counting down those last few weeks. Work is driving me crazy. You will be able to spot me as I will be the one in the straight jacket. LOL. just teasin'. Well , we were planning on a trip to Cancun next year sometime , but if we like Jamaica maybe we will have to return there instead. Who knows.

:)

Jill

Waldorf, Maryland
Level Contributor
296 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: RIU Ocho Rios December 3 - 10th.....anyone going???

Hi Jill, I am usually mylesmom or Campbell's (our last name) wife but my real name is Judy. :-) My sister's name is Jackie so they call us the J sisters. This will be my 3rd trip and my husband's second. I hope you'll fall in love with Jamaica. I have friends from there and they are kindest most loving people. Nothing seems to worry them. :-) Where are you in Chicago? I have family out that way. My aunt is actually going to a wedding the same week we are going to be in Jamaica in Chicago and compalaining that's it's not fair. She looks for sunshine and warm weather wherever she goes.

Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: RIU Ocho Rios December 3 - 10th.....anyone going???

Judy, Hi. I actually live an 1 1/2 hours from Chicago. I could never live in a big city. When I was filling out the trip advisor membership profile part I entered Chicago thinking it had something to do with airport location,or something. It's funny my town is probably the size of 4 city blocks.LOL I think the flu & cancer took 5-6 of our elderly residents last year and census is probably below 200 people now. Anyway ,some of the girls I work with have been to Jamaica and say they loved it. I think the one said I was lucky not to stay in Montego Bay...because it was poverty strickin. I told her that's anywhere & everywhere. But she said she thought it was dirty. I do not know. But she said I will love it there ,because inside the resorts are beautiful. Well ,I'm certain I will not hate it. LOL. So your sisters name is Jackie? My poor sister was named after an Indian grandma on my dad's side. Her name is Effie. (ef-fee) Strange. So have you been tanning at a salon to get some color for the trip? I hate laying in the beds, but I hate being a sheet even more. Well ,it's getting close, now .22 more days. We are driving to the city the night before ,and staying at a Comfort Inn. It was cheap & we won't be there more than 8 hours . Also ,I needed someplace to park close to Ohare. I hope the weather is nice while we are there. I have never traveled in the winter. Well,last Nov. but it was the first week ,so it didnt feel like winter. We are all looking for sun & warm weather then ,huh. The ultimate "want " this time of year! LOL.

Jill

Waldorf, Maryland
Level Contributor
296 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: RIU Ocho Rios December 3 - 10th.....anyone going???

Hi Jill,

I have color all year long :-) but I still have some color still left from the summer since I spent most weekends swimming with my son. I was burnt to a crisp by the end of summer and it has been rather warm until now. Both my husband's family and mine are part Indian. So live outside of Chicago is a small town. We live about 40 mins outside of Washington DC. I work about 4 blocks from the White House. Your friend's observation about the poverty is right but it all over the island. That's just the way it is in these countries. Makes you really appreciate what you have when you get home. Montego Bay is crowded and more touristy, in my opinion. I stayed in Montego Bay years ago and it wasn't like that but they have really built it up. Have your read the liquorman's latest review? Have you seen the pictures posted under the Riu Hotel Review?

Judy

Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: RIU Ocho Rios December 3 - 10th.....anyone going???

Judy,no I haven't ,but I am going to look right now......

Jill

Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: RIU Ocho Rios December 3 - 10th.....anyone going???

Judy , Hello. Were you talking about liquiormans day 7 review? Or did he write one elsewhere? I did read the day 7. I also looked up those pictures. I'm not too worried about the resort scenery wise, I am wondering if 2 of the restaurants only accomidate 40-50 people.....and max cap. for resort is 800 rooms x2 people. Dining concerns me more than anything. Well ,I am off to tan.....yay! I also need to go to Walmart and purchase items for that school drop that steve has set up. They are talking snow showers on Tuesday for us..... 20 more days .... :)

Jill

19. Re: RIU Ocho Rios December 3 - 10th.....anyone going???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:23 pm, November 17, 2005
Waldorf, Maryland
Level Contributor
296 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: RIU Ocho Rios December 3 - 10th.....anyone going???

Hi Jill,

I am counting the days myself. When do you actually arrive? I was referring to liquorman's 7th day review. You can e-mail me directly if you wish, judith.campbell@cliffordchance.com I am not worried about the resort, I know it will be beautiful. I am hoping they will have good food and that we will not have too much trouble getting it. Happy tanning!!!