We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dunn's River Falls

st louis
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dunn's River Falls

I would like some opinions of Dunn's River Falls. Is it super crowded? Is it worth taking the time to go see?

Weymouth...
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dunn's River Falls

It does get crowded, especially when there is a ship in.. But it is truely a must see and do.. It really is beautiful.. I wouldn't do it more than 1 time, but I have to say it's worth it.. The only thing I truely didn't like was how you have to leave.. Wasn't big on the maze of shops.. I couldn't find my way out.. But I did give a woman my shoes.. lol.. Her feet were hanging off of hers.. She was psyched.. Especially because we were the same size.. But I digress.. All of the falls in Jamaica are worth going to at least once.. They are all beautiful in their own way, different but beautiful.. Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
821 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dunn's River Falls

Go on a Saturday or Sunday - ships aren't in.

They didn't bring us thru the shops... just to the place where you can see your pictures. We got those and the DVD - it was $45, but 3 of us split the cost and one burned copies for us and sent it to us.

It was scary for me - I'm a big girl, and I have vertigo. That didn't bug me. The slippery rocks and rushing water.. I had a panic attack, but I'm an idiot anyway. I won't do it unless I lose weight - it wasn't physically exerting. My thighs just made it hard for me...

But it IS a must do - I laugh @ it now. Went in Sept.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dunn's River Falls

Do these cruises come in everyday? Is there a day they don't come so we can go when it isn't as crowded?

Springfield...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dunn's River Falls

You were answering before I was asking, thanks for reading my mind.

barnegat bay
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dunn's River Falls

Okay I think Nomadicsoul has crossed the imaginary "too much information" line. lol

NYS
Level Contributor
286 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Dunn's River Falls

One other suggestion, besides avoiding cruise ship days:

Try to arrange to have extra time to hang out on the beach - it's pretty cool where the stream meets the ocean, but we were with a tour that didn't give us much slack.

"Climbing" the falls is memorable but not really necessary - there's an adjacent walkway that will allow you to enjoy the scenery.

The "holding hands" bit is a bunch of hooey.

Worth it? Yes, in my opinion.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
821 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dunn's River Falls

Jack:

Just keeping it real... I didn't hold hands.. didn't want anyone else to go down if I went down...

Short legs.. how about that?

barnegat bay
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dunn's River Falls

Nomadicsoul,

You crack me up!!! But as long as we are sharing, when my thighs get wet (especially with salt water) they chaefe somthing aweful. I have to wear boxer briefs under my bathing suit to avoid this.

That being said, when I climb the falls in a couple of days, if my beer belly gets a little too far out in front of me and I start to go....(unlike you) I will be taking out as many skinny, good looking people as I can. lol j/k.

I get home on the 11th of November, I'll let you know how I made out.

Jack

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
821 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dunn's River Falls

Jack,

Off the topic, but try this. It's for women, but I'm sure it will help you. I call it "chub rub", but it's Monistat. It's a powder gel to stop chafing. If you won't get it, send the Mrs to do so.

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
621 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Dunn's River Falls

Dunn's is nice, but I would much prefer to go to Portland to see the waterfalls there. A tour of the area would be a wonderful daytrip. If you hire a driver for the day, you can visit Somerset Falls, have lunch served by their award winning chef, head to Long Bay(the most beautiful beach on the island, IMO) Have a cocktail at Cool runnings, head to Reich falls, get yourself a purifying mineral bath, or perhaps head to Frenchman's cove. Getting a taste of this unspoiled beauty will take your breath away, and there will be NO worries about any crowd, or tour groups.

Hope you guys all enjoy your time in Jamaica!

-Leah

Mentioned in this post
Frenchman's Cove
Frenchman's Cove
796 Reviews
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean