We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SGOR room upgrades?

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arkansas
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Topic
SGOR room upgrades?

Is it very common to get a room upgrade at SGOR? If so, is it something you have to ask for, or will it be offered if available?

Milford, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SGOR room upgrades?

ageelovesurban,

It is common to get a room upgrade at SGOR, especially with their expansion. With so many rooms, you now have a better chance at getting upgraded. If you are Signature (returning Sandals/Beaches) guests, you automatically get upgraded if there is availability. Only once have we not been able to get the upgrade, and that was because it was Christmas and the resort was at capacity (Sandals Montego Bay). I would be truly surprised if upgrades were not available at SGOR.

That being said, if you are counting on a specific room catagory, it is better to book it and possibly get upgraded from there rather than take the chance and not get upgraded at all. And my motto, especially in Jamaica, is "it never hurts to ask". They (Sandals & Jamaicans in general) want you to be happy and will do what they can to accommodate your request.

We will be here in 30 days (12/01/05 - 12/06/05).

Safe & happy travels to you!

IrieLady

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: SGOR room upgrades?

We went in August and we did not receive a room upgrade.

We thought we would have a pretty good chance considering we were Signature guests. We were wrong!

But we booked an OceanView room, so we were okay with that.

In my opinion, I think it's easier to get an upgrade if you are on the Manor Side. We stayed on the Riviera side.

jersey
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: SGOR room upgrades?

What I have noticed if you stay on the manor side you will most likely be upgraded to a villa. if you stay on the riviara sid you will not be upgraded. just my experience.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: SGOR room upgrades?

Any chance of being upgraded from Manor side to Riviera side?

jersey
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: SGOR room upgrades?

doubtful they usually upgrade you from mountainview room to a villa. thats all i've ever heard of. if you already have a villa you probably wont be upgraded to a concierge villa.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: SGOR room upgrades?

We have booked a deluxe grove room... Riviera side, and all I'm hoping for is a room on the 3rd floor, with a balcony... I just wanna be able to sit there and see the ocean! I have a Q-- Does this room category have a fridge in it? I couldn't care less about a full kitchen, what a waste! I just hope to have a fridge with some refreshments in it.

Milford, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SGOR room upgrades?

delicateflower,

Your room catagory will not have a fridge in it. The only rooms with refridgerators at Sandals/Beaches resorts are concierge level and higher. I also don't think you will be able to see the ocean from the Bamboo Grove bldg, but I can't swear to that. My memory of the landscaping puts it in the middle of trees and lush foliage, so I don't think there is a clear view to the water. You really won't spend that much time in your room anyway and there are LOTS of neat places to sit back and enjoy the views/scenery.

IrieLady

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: SGOR room upgrades?

Bummer about the fridge... what are the odds of a free upgrade to concierge level? I was thinking about my poor hubby waiting for me to get ready and having a nice cocktail on a balcony while he waits for the hair to be perfect! LOL

I suppose since I won this trip I should just suck it up and pay for an upgrade... but if they'll do it for free, I can spend that money on gifts for the maids and caddies at the golf course... I don't know what to do.

I've heard that they just love to receive small things, like nice white socks and shoes, etc. We bought a fantastic Jamaican cricket (I think) team Jersy (reg $90 on sale for $10) and were planning to give it away to a local... I have about a dozen Jamaican Flag coloured (striped) wrist sweat bands I thought the caddies might like. Any other ideas?

Milford, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SGOR room upgrades?

delicateflower,

The chances of getting an upgrade, especially all the way to a concierge level room, are pretty non-existant at that time of year (Christmas/New Year's). You would be much better off paying for the room you want rather than hoping for an upgrade, not getting one, and being unhappy with your selection.

Keep in mind though that there are something like 12 bars at SGOR now, so it wouldn't take much for hubby to find a cocktail. He might even be able to bring back a bottle of bubbly for you both to share while you get ready! Make sure you don't leave food or drink in your room---you will have ants everywhere!

The little gifts are a nice touch, esp. since you will be there at the holiday time. Anything will be appreciated, personal care items seem to be in high demand.

Wishing you safe & happy travels!

IrieLady

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: SGOR room upgrades?

Oh! I never even thought about bringing bubbly to the room! What a great idea!

And personal care items never occured to me. Were you thinking of things like lotions or shampoos? I figure we'll leave our stuff behind when we go home. Toothpaste and new wrapped toothbrushes, perhaps? Fragrance mini's?