We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping near Ocho Rios

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Shopping near Ocho Rios

My husband and I have never been to Jamaica before and are going to the Riu Ocho Rios Nov. 15-20. It is our first trip (22 yrs.) without kids!!! Not being familier with the area, I am wondering if it is safe to walk around outside the resort? Is there shopping or anything in walking distance that would be safe to take a stroll to? (We need to walk off all that wonderful food!)

Rockford, MI
Level Contributor
80 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping near Ocho Rios

My husband and I are leaving for Ocho Rios (Couples) on Monday. I had a friend who got married at Breezes Runaway Bay tell me that it can be dangerous to wander around by yourself outside of your resort. She said that locals may lay in the road or fake a car accident to get you to stop and help them and then they rob you. I know people will argue this post, but in my opinion it is better to be safe than sorry. My suggestion after her advice and several posts I have read here would be to have a tour guide if you go somewhere or use the shuttles and excursions. You don't want to be sorry. ( I don't plan on being afraid-just prepared).