We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! PDC is now out, deciding between Jamaica & Cabo

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
208 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Help! PDC is now out, deciding between Jamaica & Cabo

Hi everyone-

I'm supposed to be going to Playa del Carmen in 3 weeks, not sure yet what will happen with that so I'm trying to come up with Option B. I've been thinking about switching to either Cabo san Lucas or Ocho Rios, I've never been to either. Is there anyone that has been to both and can give me an opinion? I really feel as though I'm starting from square one all over again and I'm sooo confused!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
926 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! PDC is now out, deciding between Jamaica & Cabo

I'm also booked for the Mayan in Jan. and may cancel and book elsewhere. I was at the Riu Palace in Cabo last year and loved it. You can't go wrong booking there. I may go there again but I want to check out the reviews for the Riu Ocho Rios when it opens next week.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
208 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! PDC is now out, deciding between Jamaica & Cabo

The Riu Palace in Cabo is one of the hotels I was looking at. So you enjoyed going there? The hotel looks beautiful, the only thing that stops me is the fact that you really can't swim in the ocean. Did you go into town at all? What is there to do?

Springfield...
Level Contributor
4,810 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! PDC is now out, deciding between Jamaica & Cabo

Been to both. WOuld recommend JA over Cabo but would suggest Negril over Ocho Rios, just personal observations. We went to Ocho for the day and liked the tours we did but not the area, plus too many people from cruise ships. Haven't been to Negril yet but that's my next trip. ALl on this forum highly recommend Negril, especially for first timers.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! PDC is now out, deciding between Jamaica & Cabo

I agree - go to Negril if you visit Jamaica!

San Fran/Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! PDC is now out, deciding between Jamaica & Cabo

Be aware, Negril suffered the most damage from Hurricane Wilma even though there was no direct hit on Jamaica. Montego Bay is your best bet. I have stayed at the tWyndom Rose Hall and it is fabulous! I am going to Ocho Rios myself in November and staying at the new Riu opening late October. I hope it will be ready but there are lot of people in Ocho Rios due to the ship ports and I am not overly excited about that either.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
4,810 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! PDC is now out, deciding between Jamaica & Cabo

Contact TOTT from Talk of the Town Tours. They are based in Negril and Sienna, the owner, posts on this site frequently. From everything I've read they are water logged in Negril but that's the worst of it. You might do a search to see as there have been a lot of concerned people the last few days. Or do a search and go to TOTTS website and contact them direct.

The worst in JA is nothing compared to those poor people in Mexico.

Aventura
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! PDC is now out, deciding between Jamaica & Cabo

You cannot swim at the beach at Riu Cabo, not safely anyway. You can howver go to El Arco on a 5 minute boat ride and swim there or walk the beach to another spot.

It is a 20 min walk to town, on the beach, not the streets- you would want to take a bus or cab otherwise.

The Riu is nice,but lots of kids, small ones.If you want adults only, go to Jamaica.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
208 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! PDC is now out, deciding between Jamaica & Cabo

Thanks for the responses! The fact that we can't swim in the ocean is one reason why I wasn't sure about Cabo. Any reason why I should pick Negril over Ocho Rios? I was looking at the Couples Negril resort, it looks very nice! Of course I haven't checked to see if they have any damage from Wilma yet!

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
477 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! PDC is now out, deciding between Jamaica & Cabo

luvvacation ~

We just returned from our 10 day honeymoon at Couples Negril. We're still speechless! It was the most wonderful trip I've ever experienced - I've been to Jamaica 3x before (never to Negril though) as well as Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo, Hawaii, Cayman Islands, and Bahamas. This trip blew all of those trips away.

Negril is located on the far west end of the island, therefore, the sunsets are stunning! Its also known for having the most gorgeous beaches in Jamaica...the water is crystal clear and very calm. The cliffs area is really cool, lots of tiny boutique hotels, bars, restaurants, craft markets. I wish we had time to hang out there longer.

Next year, we may split our trip....half the time at Couples Negril and half the time at one of the properties on the cliffs.

I recently uploaded many of our pics onto an online album. Check em out!

www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html…

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! PDC is now out, deciding between Jamaica & Cabo

mchotsie, right on! JA rocks! IRIE