We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rollling the Dice! Couples Swept Away, Ocho Rios, and...

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
132 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Rollling the Dice! Couples Swept Away, Ocho Rios, and...

So, here's the deal. We got an incredible deal from our travel agent to stay at one of the three above Couples Resorts. But there is a catch...we won't know which one until we check-in at the Apple vacation counter at O'Hare (Chicago).

SO, I've been pounding the Internet all morning looking for differences, pros/cons, and basically finding out which one would be the best for us. It's a rather weird situation not knowing where you're staying, but fortunately they all look really good.

Does anyone have basic summary of each property? A pro/con opinion? It would help out a lot.

(sans souchi was not included in our "game")

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
621 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rollling the Dice! Couples Swept Away, Ocho Rios, and...

Hi, CallMeGomez!

No worries! No matter where will be staying, you will love it!!!

I haven't stayed at these resorts, but I visited San Souci and Swept Away, and they were both beautiful! Since SS is out, Swept Away would be a lucky pick in my opinion. While I can't speak for the details of the resort, I would rather spend my vacation in Negril than in Ocho Rios to be close to the beautiful beaches and right in the middle of all of the action. And Couples Swept Away is right on the 7 mile beach, so how can you go wrong? :)

I hope that you have a wonderful trip!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you'll "draw" Swept Away. ;)

-Leah

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
132 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rollling the Dice! Couples Swept Away, Ocho Rios, and...

Thanks for the info. Are the beaches better in Negril then?

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
477 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rollling the Dice! Couples Swept Away, Ocho Rios, and...

Ahhhh, ur doing the Secret Rendezvous huh?

We just returned on Friday night from our 10 day honeymoon at Couples Negril. It was beyond words - the resort grounds, the staff, the food, the drinks, the beach were all fantastic. It is my understanding that CN, CSA, and COR are all fabulous, each offering something a tiny bit different than the next.

Here's some of their differences:

CN - has a private fenced off area on their beach for nude sunbathing

CSA - no specified area for nude sunbathing

COR - has Tower Island, an all nude island right off the shore

CN - has a large pool with swim-up bar and 2 jacuzzis, as well as a jacuzzi at the nude beach and a private jacuzzi elsewhere on the grounds

CSA - has a smaller pool with no swim-up bar, is currently building a larger pool with a swim-up bar which is slated for completion by Valentines Day 2006. I don't have info about their jacuzzis (how many they have)

COR - has a small old style pool, also has a few scattered "jungle jacuzzis"

CN - located in Bloody Bay and shares their beach with Grand Lido and the Riu. Water is extremely calm and very clear.

CSA - located on 7 mile beach and shares their beach with numerous other resorts. Water is also very calm and clear, although not quite as calm as CN because CN is in a bay area.

COR - has a private beach, water is most choppy here and not as clear as Negril (CN and CSA)

CN and CSA - located in Negril at the far west end of the island so sunsets are fantastic

COR - no sunsets but gorgeous sunrises

CN - decor is rustic, artsy, bohemian - its the newest of the 3, built in 1998. Very lush grounds. All the buildings have 3 floors and they're laid out in a U-shape.

CSA - decor is tropical, dark woods, white linens, very lush grounds. Rooms are more bungalow style.

COR - decor is colonial old world style, more of a highrise building

CN and CSA - pretty much offer the same off-site excursions. Appleton Estate Rum Distillery, Black River Safari, Rick's Cafe, Mayfield Falls, and YS Falls are all very popular trips. We hired a private driver (Soloman and Sienna with Talk of the Town Tours) to take us to Benji's Paradise, Nine Mile, and Rick's Cafe.

COR - horseback riding and Dunns River Falls are popular choices here

CN and CSA - both are 70 to 90 minutes from the airport

COR - 2 to 2.5 hours from the airport

I've read fantastic things about the food/drinks at all 3 of their resorts. Also, we liked the shuttle ride from the airport. The view of the mountains/ocean were beautiful and it was neat to drive through the tiny towns.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
132 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rollling the Dice! Couples Swept Away, Ocho Rios, and...

Secret Rendezvous...exactly!

THANK YOU, that list was extremely helpful. I can look on the Internet until my eyes hurt, but your list was like the perfect "Cliff Notes" version.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
477 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rollling the Dice! Couples Swept Away, Ocho Rios, and...

UR welcome..........I researched all of the Couples resorts for about 10 months before I finally booked Couples Negril for our honeymoon. We did NOT regret it :-D

Trust me, u will love whatever one u r given!

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
132 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rollling the Dice! Couples Swept Away, Ocho Rios, and...

You have no idea how wonderful it is to hear you say that. We are definitely looking forward to it. Now, hopefully it won't flood!

Thank you again.

Hartford, WI
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rollling the Dice! Couples Swept Away, Ocho Rios, and...

I would have to agree with Mchotsies list. I have stayed at all 3, and all 3 are very nice. I dont think COR is 2.5 hours away. More like 1.5 to 2. And the new pool at CSW, where is it being built?? I was there last week, no signs of pool construction, unless it is going to be by the new buildings they are constructing (you cant see very well, its all walled off) And CSW actually has 2 pools, the main pool and a lap pool for those who like to swim. CSW has at least 2 hot tubs, maybe 3.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
132 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rollling the Dice! Couples Swept Away, Ocho Rios, and...

Again thank you for helping me out with this.

I suppose either of you, or anyone else has any information as to which areas of Jamaica are under water right now? I've tried to compile a list based on what I've read online and it's a challenge to figure out where all these places are. Do you have a website to recommend?

Thanks.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
783 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rollling the Dice! Couples Swept Away, Ocho Rios, and...

reggae mylitis~ yes the new infinity pool with swim-up bar is going to be past the new section of rooms. They are also building a great hall in that area that Feathers is going to be moved into and also another restaurant that will overlook the pool.

CallMeGomez~ Whichever resort you end up at I'm sure you'll love. Having said that I myself would be hoping for Swept AWay! Negril.com is a great site for information. Has maps of resorts in Negril area and also an active message board. Alot of good information. Have a great trip!

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
176 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rollling the Dice! Couples Swept Away, Ocho Rios, and...

CallMeGomez, if you haven't already checked out the Couples message board, you definately need to do that. It's located on the Couples website (www.couples.com) and you can get TONS of information there. You won't be disappointed no matter which Couples you end up at.