We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sandala grande ocho rios

england
1 post
Save Topic
sandala grande ocho rios

Hi

planning a trip to sgor over xmas and new year. Having stayed in sandals bahamas, antigua & st lucia we dont want to be dissapointed in the rooms revice etc. Can anyone give a comparrison.

cheers

max

long island, ny
Level Contributor
613 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sandala grande ocho rios

SGOR is a 4 star hotel. Please don't make the mistake so many people make and think that this is the Ritz or Four Seasons.

This is a beautiful place. It has just completed a total makeover.

I have stayed here 4 times and loved it every time. The people are friendly, and the atmosphere is great. At this hotel you can choose which type of vacation you would like.

Also, this is jamaica, home of the "soon come shuttle", and "no problem mon". People here are on island time. If you are in a rush, or are impatient, this is NOT the place for you. However, if you would like a nice relaxing vacation where you will be staying in a beautiful hotel, with everything included, this is the place for you.

Room service only comes with "Butler" accomadations.

P.S. the only part that might inconvenience you is that Ochi is approx 2-3 hours from the airport by bus. It is a great ride to do ONCE. You can also fly to Ochi, but you will miss the beautiful countryside. Try flying there, and take the bus back.

Northern California
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: sandala grande ocho rios

Hello,

We have owned a timeshare at this resort since it was called "Ciboney", and at that time it was the nicest resort we have stayed at in Jamaica (we had stayed at Couples, Dunns River, Enchanted Gardens, and more recently Sandals Royal Caribbean, Royal Plantation, and the former Sandals Ocho Rios -the former "Ciboney" property, now the Manor side of SGOR is still the best in our opinion). Ciboney then became a Radisson resort (still good), then Beaches (very disappointing), but then something great happened. Sandals' owner (Butch Stewart) purchased the property outright and sunk ten million dollars into renovations. We had been told that Butch only owned 3 other Sandals' outright, and he typically devoted a lot of resources and attention to those properties. It then became a very nice place again, but last year they made it even better (we hope!) by combining our resort with the former Sandals Ocho Rios across the street and creating the SGOR mega-resort. They have since pumped even more money into it, as you can see from photos of the incredible new pool (larger than ANY we have seen in Jamaica). We were not able to go last year (we had a less than great vacation at Sandals Dunns River), so this October will be our first trip back "home". We have been very excited about the reviews and photos on tripadvisor.com, so I don't think we will be at all disappointed! If you want to see 10 pages of hi-res photos, go to: http://www.gr0m3r.com/gallery/jamaica?page=1

These were posted by a tripadvisor reviewer, and I think you will agree they look great!

I hope I have been helpful!

Regards,

Steve

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean