We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ongoing construction at SGOR????

K D
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
321 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
ongoing construction at SGOR????

I'm confused - I thought all of the renovations for this resort were complete? What kind of construction is still going on, and how will it effect my holiday? thanks to all for your input

Also, anyone who stayed on the manor side recall what their room numbers were? Sometimes it helps to request a specific room number when booking your vacation, better chance of getting what you want! :-)

thanks again! Karen

long island, ny
Level Contributor
613 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ongoing construction at SGOR????

Karen;

I will check with my contacts at SGOR and find out exactly what construction the review was referring to.

I was told that all construction was compleated. In fact, the crews that were working at SGOR are now supposed to be at SDR!

I will have an answer for you shortly.

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
197 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ongoing construction at SGOR????

I was there 8/2-8/6 and the only construction we saw was them putting a swing up under one of the gazebos on the pier at the beach. They worked all day on hanging one swing, but we hardly noticed them, wasn't noisy and we were right on the beach. We just noticed it took all day! Not like here in the states, we'd have had that sucker up there within an hour!

I think I reember my dad saying they heard some hammering going on, they were in the bamboo grove room, so maybe they are still renovating over there. It didn't seem to bother them though.

K D
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
321 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ongoing construction at SGOR????

okay - I feel a little better now (whew!)

Yes - any information you can find out will be greatly appreciated. Still bumming about SDR being closed, as I wanted to walk the beach there, but oh well. :-) I certainly won't let it ruin my holiday!

thanks again!

Karen

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ongoing construction at SGOR????

We were there 8/8-8/15 and they were doing small projects all over the beach area.

They were putting in a rock wall that lined the sidewalk that goes from the left side of the beach to the Riviera building.

They were also replacing the decking that was around the beach bar. It was all tore up around that area.

But the main construction is done.

Michelle

long island, ny
Level Contributor
613 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ongoing construction at SGOR????

Karen;

I am told that the only "construction" going on there is just finishing touches.

ALL major constrution has been completed.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
312 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ongoing construction at SGOR????

I hope you are not confusing Sunset Jamaica Grande with Sandals Grande Ocho Rios as there is still ongoing construction at the Sunset Jamaica Grande.

Mo Bay
Level Contributor
113 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ongoing construction at SGOR????

nothing complicated in it. the Sandals/Beaches family is closing three, possiblyfour, of its properties for a couple of month as visitor rates to the island are absolutely dire. Beaches Sandy Bay, Negril Gardens and Dunns River are for sure with maybe moreto close.

sure they will do some renovation but half of the stuff the company claims its going to do has already been done.

long island, ny
Level Contributor
613 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ongoing construction at SGOR????

Karen;

I am told that the only "construction" going on at SGOR is just finishing touches.

ALL major constrution has been completed.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ongoing construction at SGOR????

Just got back today from SGOR after a 5-night stay. Only "construction" I saw during the whole stay was the grounds crews working and typical preventive maintenance type stuff like touch-up painting, pool treatments, pressure washing, etc.