We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

room safes at sgor,are they safe?

pgh,pa
Level Contributor
518 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
room safes at sgor,are they safe?

have read that things are being taken out of the room safes,is this true?has anybody have any thing taken,is there any safe deposit box at the resort or do I have to carry all my cash on me all the time?

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: room safes at sgor,are they safe?

Curiousfrompgh,

I can't speak for the SGOR, but I personally only use the safe for maybe my passport making sure all details are copied and left with someone at home. Money I mix it up with JA$, US$ and travel cheques.

Then I divide them, putting some in my money belt or bag and the rest a good suitcase with secret pockets and a good lock its easy to hide it.

I never take all my clothes out so I also hide it in pockets of clothing. I then throw something over the suitcase and leave it inside the wardrobe. If what ever I use as a throw over is moved that is a warning sign. Although, if your hotels cleaning standards is tops then they may clean it if is a built in one because it uses the same floor as your room. I've traveled to other countries and done the same thing and never had anything stolen.

I hope this helps in some way!

cc
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
115 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: room safes at sgor,are they safe?

We have always used the safes at Sandals, including SGOR, and have never had a problem. We lock up all our money and valubles and nothing has ever been taken from our rooms. You will either get a keyed or electronic safe.

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
198 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: room safes at sgor,are they safe?

We had no trouble using the safe last week at SGOR. It is different and hard to explain. The actual lock and key come out of the box. You put the lock in, lock it and then take the key out. Every time you unlock it, the whole lock comes out. Nothing like I've ever seen, but whoever opens it, would have to have a key. We left our money, phones, etc. in there with no problems.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: room safes at sgor,are they safe?

I have read the review about the money being stolen from the safe, but my husband and I have been to Sandals twice...only once at SGOR, and we never had a problem. You know, now-a-days it is not really necessary to bring loads of cash on vacation. There are ATM's everywhere and most places take major credit cards. But if you are really worried, get travelers checks...they still make them, don't they?