We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SJG for a Honeymoon?

Birmingham
2 posts
Save Topic
SJG for a Honeymoon?

What is Sunset Jamaica Grande like as a honeymoon spot? We want somewhere relaxing, yet entertaining.

London England
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: SJG for a Honeymoon?

We plan to get married and have our honeymoon there. There will be 16 at the beginning of our holiday but we also have a week alone so am also hoping that it is a good spot for honeymooners. We have been 4 years ago and had a fantastic time then. We hope it will be the same. We like to have a laugh and are sociable which the sjg was suited to. Time will tell with the renovations. Fingers crossed. Ochi is a good area and local to attractions with shopping close. I would recommend the area definately and sjg is supposed to be one of the best.

The reviews give a good insight to people's experiences but I would give this word of advice. everybody sees things differently and comments accordingly. Before the change of ownership, there were very mixed reviews and there seems to be since. It has to ultimately be your own choice.

Good luck in your forthcoming wedding and life together.

One love

Samx

Middlesbrough UK
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: SJG for a Honeymoon?

Hi. Just got back from there yesterday (01-08-2005). We found the administration to be appalling. We tried to check in, the reception said they had no record of our booking, but we could pay again and sort it out when we got home. I had no choice but to pay as we were there for a wedding. Five hours later, a note had arrived from the reception desk to say the booking had been found and a credit card refund voucher was enclosed with the note. All well and good I thought until I arrived home to check my credit card account only to find I had lost £65.00 on the transaction. Another member of our party arrived only to find there was no record of their daughters booking, so the same thing happened. The reception desk was painfully slow, 45 mins four of the girls had to wait to get their wrist bands replaced because they did not want them on the wedding photos, then they were charged US$5.00 each for their trouble. The staff say this sort of trouble has been going on since the new owners took over earlier this year. The general staff are not too bad, a few are excellent, some are ok, but most are fairly miserable, which is understandable given the appalling management. There was no internet connection, but I believe that was promised for later this year, no telephones other than expensive room phones, and constant building & renovation going on, which, at the rate they were working, will take them into next year. Food ok, service and quality poor if you left it until the last hour of meal times. Reccommended for a honeymoon? Depends if you can bear the incompetence of the management. The staff will look after you ok outside of reception, but I might be tempted to wait a year to see if they can sort themselvs out.

grimsby...
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SJG for a Honeymoon?

Thank you Steveborouk. your review was appreciated, i am going in 11 days and was begining to think that most of the construction was nearing an end, did you feel it spoilt your holiday, or was it hidden out the way? i was given an update from the hotel dated the 18th of july and was wondering if anything else had been completed while you were there, thank you .

Middlesbrough UK
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: SJG for a Honeymoon?

Hi Barleybonce. Most of the renovation work is almost complete and not much of a problem in the main hotel complex, but the new construction work looks a long way from being finished. Having said that, it won’t detract from your holiday, its tucked fairly well out of the way. You can see the work from higher on one side of the North Tower, but otherwise, from ground level, its hidden from view (unless you are nosey like me and go exploring). I have some friends who are not due home until 09 Aug, they have text me to say a new night club has opened in town and, although it must be half-a-mile away, they can hear the racket from one side of the South Tower, so if you have a choice, try the North Tower. Any other questions, e-mail me at steve.rusinek@srengineering.co.uk

grimsby...
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SJG for a Honeymoon?

Thanks steveborouk but i am puzzled now, cos you say stay in north tower, but most post's have advised to stay in the south tower to keep away from the construction, but i would rather have a not so good view, than a noisey not being able to sleep cos of the noise room!! can you say where you want to stay i think i will see where they put us if its bad i will play up and hope they move us. thanks again Ann x x