We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sans Souci Raft Ride

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,562 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sans Souci Raft Ride

We have purchased the "Pure Paradise" package that includes a raft ride option. Has anyone selected this raft ride? Is it worth it? Do we have to ride into Montego Bay and back?

Appreciate your help. Linda

Caribbean
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sans Souci Raft Ride

I think the closest raft ride to Sans Souci is Rio Grande in Portland. If so, that attraction is closed temporarily as a result of the hurricane. As I've said in a previous post, it should be up and running soon. When do you plan to travel?

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,562 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sans Souci Raft Ride

August 11-18. How far is Portland from Sans Souci.

Thank you for your help.

Maine
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sans Souci Raft Ride

When we were there, we had this package as well, we opted for the Dunns River falls, which was FABULOUS. We met some folks who did the falls, they said it was nice, but very boring, no real rapids, just a gentle river ride. Also, they did feel it was too long a ride. Dunns Falls was a 10 min ride, just for comparison.

Maine
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sans Souci Raft Ride

oops! I meant we met folks who did the raft ride, really, they were not impressed.

south carolina
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sans Souci Raft Ride

It was fun... BUT [Big BUT] - the ride to the raft stream was about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. Basically, think of going through Ocho Rios, picking up passengers - going past where your shuttle stopped enroute, and going 30 minutes more.

The ride is on bamboo rafts - two people and a gondolier. The seat is comfortable and the ride is shady and peaceful. No in-water experience - all dry. Expect to tip your raft guy.

If I had to do it again, I would have spent the day at the beach. I have heard the shopping is also terrible. So unless you ride horses, probably forgo the freebee.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
169 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sans Souci Raft Ride

Sans Souci doesn't offer Dunn's River as part of the Pure Paradise package. They offer Horseback Riding at Chukka Cove Farms, the raft trip and a shoping trip to Ochi. You have to pay extra for Dunn's, which on the resort tour is 36.00 pp but well worth it. Your other option for Dunn's is to take a taxi, about 15.00 each way and pay the entrance fee of 15.00 pp once there.

So, between the three tours offered, the raft and horseback tours both kill about 3 to 4 hours in travel time. This is due to the fact that the bus stops at multiple resorts prior to arrival at the tour destination. The shopping trip is not a good deal as they offer this 2 times a day for 10.00 pp. Therefore, if travel time is a concern, know that there aren't any short tours included in the PP package that are a good value.

We opted to ride the horses and had fun. The scenery is not that amazing, but riding in the ocean is pretty cool. I did not meet anyone who took the raft trip, so I can't help you there. I will say, based on the tour desk's description of the tour, we were not keen on taking a slow moving raft trip down a river in the 90 degree heat.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,562 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sans Souci Raft Ride

You guys are all terrific. Thank you for your input and for taking the time to reply. I think we'll just lounge around the resort with our drink in hand. You saved us a lot of time. Come join us at SS and I'll buy all the drinks! Thanks Much, Linda