We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ivan damage to Sans Souci

Houston,Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Ivan damage to Sans Souci

Has anyone got any info on Sans Souci? We are supposed to leave for there on Saturday. However I am getting conflicting reports. The resort says they are fine,but the news here said that the island was 98% without power and that they were running out of Food,water and medical supplies. Any info anyone has would be great. Thanks

HMP
Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
271 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ivan damage to Sans Souci

I just noticed that Sans Souci updated their website this morning. It says they are operating on their own generators and think power will be restored in Ocho Rios in the next few days. It also says there is no penalty for postponing your trip if you are booked through Sept. 30. I think I'd probably postpone if you can. Either way, I'd be interested in hearing about your experience if/when you go because we are going to Sans Souci in January. Good luck.

Horicon, WI
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ivan damage to Sans Souci

Just got back from a week at Sans Souci....I can't say enough about it!! As far as Ivan damage at this particular resort...minimum to none. Early morning hours the staff is raking the shoreline to get rid of any washup left behind in the ocean from Ivan. Other than that the resort and spa is wonderful!! Make sure you take along some insect repellant. Even though they spray the grounds there might be an evening where the pesty little buggers show up. Double check your spa arrangements when you get there. We had a group of 41 at the wedding and most everyones massage appointments were all messed up. Theres a crabby older woman that tries to intimidate you about missing YOUR appointment by talking down to you.....so beware! The swedish hour long couple massage in the hut cliffside is great!!!! The view breathtaking and the massage is out of this world!! Very romantic. The food is great, the staff waited on us like royalty. Tipping is not allowed but we did and I think it helps for better service. There is a swimming staff member named Kevin. He took us snorkeling and sailing. He was very very good at explaining things and taking good care of us. He will show you so much more about the island and is very willing to spend time with you. If you go over to climb the Dunn Falls beware at the very end. The Jamaicans will be there with their wares trying to sell you EVERYTHING. Don't show them you have any money with you and Don't let them shove anything into your hands. We were almost suffocated by them.....just keep walking back to your bus. Another thing is to take watershoes along to the falls. They will make you purchase them for $15 when you can get them at Walmart for a couple of dollars. We had the best time of our lives at San Souci. Our son's wedding was so beautiful and it was a trip of a lifetime. The only thing we didnt really like was the 2 hour bus ride from the airport to the resort. Next time we will try and stay at a resort a lot closer to the airport or take the little aircraft over to the resort which only takes 30 min. Have fun and if you would like to email us...its curlup@powerweb.net