We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area of Jamaica is best?

Two Hills, Alberta...
Level Contributor
131 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Which area of Jamaica is best?

I know this is a very general question, but I am trying to plan a trip to Jamaica and can't decide which area to go to.What I am looking for is a nice family resort, with lots of things to do especially for older kids. We like the beach so a nice beach is important. We would also like to do some fun excursions like swimming with dolphins, ziplining, waterfalls, catamaran tours,etc, and some good shopping. I have been kind of leaning towards Ocho Rios area as it seems to have a lot of stuff to do. Any suggestions of fun things to do or a great family resort to stay?

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area of Jamaica is best?

Great family resort:

Sunset Jamaica Grande in Ocho Rios.

Ohio
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area of Jamaica is best?

You can get a thousand different opinions on this one, but in my opinion the reality is that if you stick to Ocho Rios, MoBay or Negril, you will find plenty of what you are looking for. There are different excursion options depending on which area you pick and the shopping is equally good in all three. The best overall beach is probably at Negril, but Mobay has it's share of fine beaches too as does Ochi. If you are concerned about the fun excursions, put that to rest because as I said, there are many many options in each area. Unless you are staying for a month or so, you won't run out of fun things to choose from no matter which area you eventually go to. Everything isn't available everywhere, but everywhere has something that is uniquely their own to offer as well as many things that are pretty much universal no matter where you go. There is plenty to do everywhere. If Ocho Rios seems appealing to you, then go. Your not going to get there and say "gee, there's nothing to do here". The same can be said for MoBay and Negril.

Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area of Jamaica is best?

You should visit the Beaches website. www.beaches.com They are awesome resorts. I would recommend Beaches Negril for a great family vacation!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area of Jamaica is best?

i think montego bay may be the best central spot (IMO)especially for taking trips.

xxx

Two Hills, Alberta...
Level Contributor
131 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area of Jamaica is best?

One thing myself and my kids really want to do is swim with the dolpihins. From what I can see this is only offered in Ocho Rios, is this true? Also we realy want to see Dunns River Falls and again isn't this in or close to Ocho Rios? I'm not to keen on making long bus trips on tours. I found another hotel which seems really nice the Sunset Jamaica Grande. It seems like a really nice resort for families, and it is in Ocho Rios.

Ohio
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area of Jamaica is best?

chichi1,

You are correct about Dunns River Falls and Dolphin Cove being close (in) Ocho Rios. You can swim with the dolphins at Half Moon too, but it costs a arm and a leg to do it. I realy don't know about any other areas where you can do that specific excursion. You mentioned the canopy tour and ,yes, that can be done in Ocho Rios. I've never stayed at the Sunset Jamaica Grande so I'm not the one to listen to about that, but it does get positive reviews.

Delaware
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area of Jamaica is best?

You may want to think about a private driver paying for the van rather than per person on the tour bus. Lee's Taxi & Tours is reliable and reasonable. Dunn's River Falls and Dolphin Cove are quite close and could be done together.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area of Jamaica is best?

I recommend that you stay in Ochee. The only downfall is that the trek from airport to Ochee may be a little close to two hours. Fortunately, once you arrive you will have many things to do and it is truly a nice place....Follow ur gut!!!

england
Level Contributor
6,064 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which area of Jamaica is best?

Dolphin cove and dunns are close together. They are about 15 mins from ocho rios at the most. But i would advise that if you do them both i would advise you use a private driver. If you go through the rep then you will be rushed and not get to enjoy each place as much as you want to.

Using a private driver you can spend as long as you want there, at each place and leave when you are ready. I wish we had gone with moodie on this excursion and when we go again will get him to take us. We did not know moodie when we did this excursion, met him after.

There is the catamarn that leaves from ocho rios that takes you out and you can do some snorkelling before going onto dunns river. You have a party on the boat on the way back. Not sure if its family friendly. I have not done it but know people that have and they say its fun.

10. Re: Which area of Jamaica is best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, September 21, 2009