We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To lock or not to lock the luggage?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
To lock or not to lock the luggage?

What's everyone doing and has anyone had anything stolen if they chose not to lock their luggage? Also, do the TSA locks fit on all luggage?

Kansas City, Kansas
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: To lock or not to lock the luggage?

Okay, I've been trying to do my homework. Target's website has them, 2 for 15.99, search luggage locks or travel accessories. I think there is a link just after the posts end on this page with three links. I didn't find any on Wal-Mart or K-Mart's websites. The Brookstone website has them 2 for 20.00. Happy hunting!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: To lock or not to lock the luggage?

A TSA lock is one approved by the Transportation Security Administration. (www.tsa.gov) If you use these locks the baggage inspectors can simply unlock your luggage, inspect the contents and then lock it back up for you. Here's a direct link for the tsa lock info:

tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_…

I bought mine today from Target. They are inexpensive.

Hope this helps.

Alabama
Level Contributor
133 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: To lock or not to lock the luggage?

They told us not to lock our luggage when we checked in. We didn't and I think my jewelry was stolen out of one of our suitcases. Not sure at what airport but it is gone. Lesson learned: Lock your luggage and put valuables deep inside your suitcase where they will not easily be found.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
647 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: To lock or not to lock the luggage?

alabamagirl,

I'm sorry to hear that somewhere enroute your jewelry was stolen from your luggage. Your experience serves as a good reminder to always pack valuables in your carry on luggage where you will always have control over it.

Never put anything you can't afford to lose in your checked baggage --- locked or unlocked. We have used our TSA locks twice and they do provide a certain peace of mind, but all luggage can be broken into if someone is intent on doing so.

Put those valuables in the carry ons or perhaps something very valuable is best left at home.

melbourne
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: To lock or not to lock the luggage?

I agree with with everyone but especially Barrister. You may as well have your luggage all locked up for peace of mind and carry anything precious on board with you. Some people in Australia have been using a service at the airport that wraps luggage completely in plastic wrap. Nothing gets in and nothing gets out. The girl who has been jailed for twenty years was convicted on drug charges in Bali. They have very strict laws regarding drugs and she was lucky (would you believe) not to have been hung. I haven't travelled out of Australia but my friends always scan the Australian Government websites to check out the safety ratings, warnings etc. I don't know if there is a site like this in every country.

Cheers all

Di

Aspen, CO
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: To lock or not to lock the luggage?

Always "lock" your luggage - at least it's a deterrent to would-be thieves. Since 9/11, I've used the plastic "cable ties" others have mentioned, but I make a point of buying the brightly colored ones (WalMart has them). I use a different color on each zipper. It makes my suitcase that much more distinctive when coming off the luggage conveyor at the airport.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: To lock or not to lock the luggage?

That's a really good idea, Cheryl. My Mom does the same thing to help identify her luggage. She's in her seventies and has a hard time seeing which luggage is hers. She also adds colorful ribbons and stickers.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: To lock or not to lock the luggage?

Bought my TSA locks at Target this weekend. 2 for $5.99. The minimal cost is worth the peace of mind.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: To lock or not to lock the luggage?

I just got my TSA locks the other day at walmart, 3 pack for about 5$!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: To lock or not to lock the luggage?

I missed that deal!