We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ride from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios

Stamford, Ct
Level Contributor
748 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Ride from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios

Hi - Thinking about going to Ocho Rios in April but was curious about how long the bus ride from Montego Bay airport to Ocho Rios is. I've heard 2 hours, or longer. Don't want to waste most of my day on the road. Any help is appreciated.

Milford, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ride from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios

It depends on how you are getting there and where exactly you are going. Sandals Dunn's River area is about 1 1/5 -1 3/4 hours, Sandals Grande Ocho Rios takes about 2 hours, Beaches Boscobel takes 2 - 2 1/2 hours.

It depends on time of day, weather, if you are in a private taxi or having to stop half way with a hotel shuttle full of other guests.

Where are you thinking about going???

UK
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ride from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios

The average time is from the airport to Sandals Dunns River is 2 hours - a driver who knows the road can do this in 90 mins.

On a Sunday morning, with the new road, no traffic you can do this in little over one hour.

Dunns River is ten minutes drive from sandals Dunns River, Ocho Rios Town is ten minutes drive.

Stamford, Ct
Level Contributor
748 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ride from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios

I was thinking about Sunset Grande. We would be going in April when my daughter has her spring break from high school. Went to Montego Bay a few years ago and wasn't crazy about it. I've heard that Ocho Rios is nicer. Any opinions?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
714 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ride from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios

I was in Ocho in August. Left on a Monday morning from NJ at 745 a.m, got to Jamaica at 11:50. The ride was not bad at all...we were at the resort and checked in and the kids were in the pool by 2:15.

Runaway Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
3,680 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ride from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios

Don't let the ride time deter you ... unless you are staying somewhere that requires long drives to every excursion... the drive to and/or from the airport can add quality and character to your overall experience...

Personally, I like the drive along the Sea side... the "P" stops or Red Stripe stops ... or jerk stand stops all add to your vacation. Don't look at it as wasting some of your valuable time... instead, roll down your window on your bus or taxi and take in that fragrant Jamaica air... let the salty wind start to curl your hair... take in some of the breathtaking Sea views near Duncans... take that first ride as your baby-steps into the Jamaican culture with each stop you decide to make... it can be the beginning of a beautiful thing!

Saratoga NY
Level Contributor
245 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ride from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios

Frostychic, That was so well put!!!! We love the ride and the people.

Maryland
Level Contributor
21 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ride from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios

VERY well put!

I like the positive spin you put on it. I'm actually excited about the trip now . . . lol!

Dubuque, Iowa
Level Contributor
706 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ride from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios

We thought the ride was great too. It was a great start to our VK. One more tip I might add is that if you are taking a hotel shuttle or a bus sort of transportation, sit up closer to the driver so you get to hear him as he tells you about the different areas, etc. We were right behind the driver on our bus and I am so glad because I don't think the people in the back got to hear much. Have a great time.

Hemet, California
Level Contributor
5,883 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ride from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios

We take a red eye from LAX for another 2 hours with kids can get a bit rough. I would recommend a private taxi. No waiting once you clear customs or unnecessary stop if you are not interested. Getting to the resort we like in Ocho Rios, is definitely worth the drive.

If you are going to SJG with a shuttle, it's the last stop on the route. Now that is painful.

Pauline

TN
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ride from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios

Thanks for the positive feedback on this post. I do have one question to add to this forum.

My group has booked a trip to stay at Breezes Runaway Bay, how long is that drive from Mobay airport to this hotel? Also, on average, how long would you all say TOURS from this hotel are? I.e, Bob Marley house in Kingston, Dunn's River, Safari Jeep tour, etc..

TNDiamond