We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Jamaica flight-what's it really like?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Air Jamaica flight-what's it really like?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what the Air Jamaica experience is like. How are the planes, cabins, FA's, check in, food, drinks, etc.? Are they typically on time? Any info would be great!

Thanks!

Powhatan, VA
Level Contributor
418 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Jamaica flight-what's it really like?

We have recently had a very bad experience with Air Jamaica. Other trips have been great on Air Jamaica. The manager at the resort told me they are going through a reorganization and have had some problems. The pilots were recently on strike, but settled. Good luck with the flight.

The cabins are just like any other.

They play reggae while you board and get settled. The crews are typically all Jamaican. The check in people at other airports are American, but the airline attendants etc. are jamaican.

The food was fine. We had stewed chicken on the way home and on the way down was a turkey sand. Nothing special or wonderful.

The leg room is very small. Don't bring a huge bag to carry on, it might not fit under the seat in front of you.

The saving grace is the wine, champagne, red stripe and drinks are free and the headsets for the movie are free. Those are plus's in my book.

Good luck.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Jamaica flight-what's it really like?

Thanks for the info. I've heard a few rumblings that things hadn't been going very smooth on AJ flights lately...hopefully everything will be sorted out this time next month. I'm already nervous about flying....I guess it's a good thing the alcohol is complimentary, lol. I'm sorry your experience with AJ was a bad one, I hope your vacation was great!

Thanks again!

Anyone else have any info?

Columbus, OH
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Jamaica flight-what's it really like?

My Air Jamaica flight from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios was cancelled. June 13th and June 21st (Round-trip). They gave no solution so I am contacting TimAir as a replacement.

Mattituck, NY
Level Contributor
850 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Jamaica flight-what's it really like?

AJ was really great in previous years, but this year they are having a hard time getting things straightened out. We did not fly on an AJ plane, rather a North American Airlines plane. Not so great, but we at least got there and home as scheduled. Will I fly AJ again- yes. In previous years snowstorms prevented other carriers from getting to Jamaica while we got there on AJ. Some years it is AJ that is messing up, other years it is another carrier.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
114 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Jamaica flight-what's it really like?

we flew air jamaica and had no problems whatsoever flying down but on the way back my fiance thought we flew out an later time so we missed our flight!!! and then our new flight was delayed due to a really bad storm back home in Philly but other than inclement weather we had no problems with actual Air Jamaica itself.

Lewes,De
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Jamaica flight-what's it really like?

Air Jamaica is having problems. We flew AJ from Phila to Montego Bay in March. no problems and on time both ways. The meals were not 5 star but they were free and not bad. Had on board movie with free head sets. Can't say that about US AIR or Delta. Some people say the attendants are rude. I can also say that about US AIR and Delta. Let's just say it's a stressful job. I will book AJ again and hope for another good one.

Illinois
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Jamaica flight-what's it really like?

Sounds like the flight's out of PHIL. are going fairly smooth. Anyone been out of Chicago lately on Air Jamaica ? We won't need to use them till end of August, so still have a lot of time for this to improve. Just really excited about our trip and would hate to have anything spoil it.

Thanks country 1950

Level Contributor
241 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Jamaica flight-what's it really like?

I've been watching the AJ flight every day on Newark Airport website - most leave a at least 20 minutes late and are fine from there but yesterday I saw one leave almost an hour late then get diverted in Boston once it was in the air . Got busy with work and next time I looked ( couple hours ) I couldn't find any info so I don't know what happened to those poor folks. I really hope things start to get better.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Jamaica flight-what's it really like?

It's been two years since we flew on Air Jamaica, but all of our trips in the past were excellent. We've always flown first class, so our seats were comfortable and we got an upgraded menu, than what was offered in coach. The service was ultra attentive and after our first time flying them, we were greeted at the door to the plane with a "Hello, Mr. and Mrs. ********. We've taken the liberty of preparing a rum punch for you and a champagne for Mrs. ********" , which is what we'd ordered on our previous flight. I understand they've been going through labor issues, but hopefully they are back to their excellent service that we experienced in the past.

UK (lancashire)
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Jamaica flight-what's it really like?

we are flying AJ in july when we go from London HR..............

Ive been watching the flights this week (yes i am that sad) and every flight has been delayed aroud the 4 -5 hours mark....

oh i do hope they sort it b4 we go because a 4 hr delay means getting in to MBJ at midnight then 2 hrs to the hotel .... what a fantastic start to our holiday.....

Oh well they have got just over 4 weeks to iron out the problems Heres hopping Matt

Get answers to your questions about Ocho Rios
Recent Conversations