We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Dunns River Fals

Hampton, NH
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Sandals Dunns River Fals

I am going to Sandals Dunns River in Feb 05. I have been to Sandals Negril and Sandals OR. Does anyone have any feedback on this Sandals Resort. Have read many bad reviews. Getting nervous, but still have time to change resorts. Please advise. Thanks!!

Atlanta, GA
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Dunns River Fals

I don't know if this helps or not, but we just switched from SDR to Grand Lido Negril. I also read some not so good reviews, and decided to change. I got a lot of recommendations for Grand Lido Braco, Negril and Couples Negril or Swept Away. I also think that Sandals attracts a lot of young people - we are 36 & 43 and thought we might have a better time at Grand Lido. good luck!!

england.
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Dunns River Fals

Hi Susie-Q

What type of things are you expecting from Sandals? Do you like doing your own thing outside of the Hotel grounds, ie(Hang out with the friendly-Locals, Make real-Jamaican-friends, Finding the Roots aspect of the area?) Or are you the "Pamper me all day, Please!" type of guest?

Ochee is probably the best kept secret for hoildaying in Jamaica, so it really do'es depend on what you WANT or NEED from the Sandal's resort.

One-Love

Jahman.

Hampton, NH
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Dunns River Fals

Hi Jahman,

This is my 3rd trip to a Sandals Resort and have not been disappointed yet. I do like to venture out and mingle with the locals. We are going with 3 other couples on 2/5/05 to 2/13/05 if anyone else out there is gonna be at SDR on same dates give me a shout!!

Susie Q

MO
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Dunns River Fals

As a travel agent, I have recently seen all of the Sandals properties. When I started in the business, 10years ago, one of the first inspection trips I went on, I got to visit Sandals Dunn's, it was one of my favorites. I went back in April '04 and inspected every single Sandals and Beaches properties and I can still say that Sandal's Dunn's is still one of my favorites. I actually stayed there this past timel too and completely enjoyed it. I had stayed at Sandals Ocho back in Dec '03 and I took my boyfriend over there to eat at the Japanese Restuarant. We loved our resort (Ocho) but we were drawn back to Dunn's everyday.

What were the bad comments that the others were giving you, because maybe I can address those for you. I also have some great pictures that I took while on property if you care to see them. I love Sandals Negril and the beach that it sits on but the Sandals Dunn's seemed a little more lively to me. The people at Dunn's are wonderful. Back in April, one of the ladies that worked the front desk remembered me from back in December. I hadnt even spoken with her in December but she came up to me in April and recalled seeing me in December and welcomed me back.

Hampton, NH
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Dunns River Fals

Hi Slin70,

The reviews i have been reading are that the resort is run down, trash floating in pools at all times. Moldy smelling rooms etc. etc. I aslo stayed at Sandals Negril and Sandals OR. Loved them both. I would love to see the pictures.

Thanks

Susie Q

MO
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals Dunns River Fals

Goodness, I can see why you are a little worried but honestly, I can say, I have NEVER seen trash in the pool, unless you call the Sandals floaties trash? They have an AMAZING pool. It actually is the largest one in Jamaica.

As for the rooms, I dont think I ever smelled any that were moldy. Now granted I have been all over the Caribbean and there have been rooms that totally smelled musty and maybe I just immune to the smell now but I really didnt notice it. Maybe it just depends on the room category? What are you booked in? I was up in the concierge level back in April and the only smell I smelled was the salty ocean breeze coming off my balcony. Now I know, some rooms had carpet in them at this resort and damp carpet does tend to make the room smell musty but I think they have totally gotten rid of the carpet. I think thought, anywhere in the Caribbean, you tend to get that smell. Sometimes, I have even found, its the sewer gas from the bathroom. They just dont have the top-notch sewer system we have here in the US ;) Especially if you have a room with a balcony, I dont think you will be getting a musty oder, just the awesome salty sea breeze.

Here's my work email slin@gowithglobal.com. If you want, just email me your email address and I'll send what I can.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals Dunns River Fals

Quote:

""pool. It actually is the largest one in Jamaica. ""

According to who?