We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turning into a stress vacation

pa
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Turning into a stress vacation

Every year we go to a local beach for a week and this year i decided that we should do something differnt ....i am not a rich person but decided to save and save again ....I wanted a cruise to jamaica but the woman won that battle and we are supposed to fly to jamaica and stay at the sunset jamaica grande...Well with less than a month to go i learn that it may not even be open when we go..they have postponed the opening 2 times so far i guess...i have never flown or even been out of the country and thought maybe this would probably be my trip of a lifetime and it is starting to be the worst time ever...my travel agent says lies like everyone elses and says dont worry it will be open but from what i have read it is 50/50 right now...they will offer me something similar if it does close but had alot of hours researching sjg or i can go any other time of the year...Like you can just pick up and go whenever when you already requested work off and crap like that..so now i sit here waiting every day for the phone to ring saying it is canceled ...Just doesnt seem fair

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
9,871 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turning into a stress vacation

Hello raideric24,

Please try and relax and look forward to your holiday.

Everything that happens in life is for a purpose.

You cannot change your destiny so just try and make the best of everything.

The hotel that you have booked at, may or may not open in time for your visit. But you do have airline tickets to Jamaica and this is what is going to make it a wonderfull trip.

If the hotel does open, then you will have a great time. Think positive. They have not opened because they do not consider themselves completely finished. This is to be admired, not critizised.

The family that owns and runs this hotel also has two other restorts. One in Montego Bay and the other in Negril.

Also one in Kingston that is used by businessmen.

You wil be placed at one of the two resorts in either MoBay or Negril. Both are fabulous places where you and your family will be well looked after.

I wish you all a happy holiday.

When this is all over, you will look back, smile and wonder why you ever worried in the first place.

MJo
Spring Grove, IL
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turning into a stress vacation

Johnny B, which other resorts do they own in Negril and Montego Bay?

Why are they closed (due to the hurricane)?

Just wondering.

madison, WI
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Turning into a stress vacation

Be warned! My family is in the same situation, originally suppose to go in April to SJG.Now going May 1, I hope. Do not, I repeat do not let them send you to one of their other properties, Johnny boy is wrong, these properties are complete crap. And if you would have planned your trip to their other resorts it would have been cheaper then what you paid for SJG. Get what you paid for. You do not want to stay in Montego Bay, dirty industrial city with the planes flying over from the airport. Read the reviews for their property in Mo Bay and you'll see.

Geneva, ny
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Turning into a stress vacation

Iam booked to stay at SJG june30-july 7 i have a back up resort just in case it does not open. Have a back up so you do not get sent somewhere you do not want to be. good luck

Geneva, ny
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Turning into a stress vacation

Iam booked to stay at SJG june30-july 7 i have a back up resort just in case it does not open. Have a back up so you do not get sent somewhere you do not want to be. good luck

pa
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Turning into a stress vacation

Well just in case .....It is just me and my wife and my wifes parents going ??...I planned on getting most of my money back in alcohol..lol....if they offer me negril or montego bay, which should i choose?...just looking for a good time and beautiful scenery....any opinions would be appreciated...thanks

Solihull, West Mids
Level Contributor
845 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turning into a stress vacation

Hi there, we too have booked for SJG but not until January so hopefully it should be open by then. I understand you worrying, but we went to Sunset Beach Resort & Spa in Mo Bay two years ago and had a wonderful time, and although I do want to go to SJG this time, if I had to be moved to Sunset Beach I would not be too disappointed. It is a beautiful resort and I could not fault it at all. I am sure you will have a wonderful time wherever you end up. Good luck - let us know when you get back how it goes.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turning into a stress vacation

Greetings Raider,

I COMPLETELY understand ! You are right that it is NOT fair that you be left worrying like that. However I do agree with Johnny that it is FAR better for them to admit to not being ready to open and relocate folks than to do what S/B does and simply open a "half finished" resort without warning the guests! '

Nevertheless, you likely spent a LOT of time researching your choice, and it is just not right that you do NOT end up getting what you've already paid for!

That being said... Sunset Resorts owns three properties in Jamaica: Sunset Jamaica Grande, Sunset Resort and Spa Mobay and Sunset at the Palms in Negril. I have stayed at both the Grande and SSB mobay and you can feel confident knowing that both the Grande and Mobay are quite similar and are on par with each other value wise.

Imho Sunset at the Palms would be my FIRST choice between the three if for no other reason that for it's INCREDIBLE beach!! Keep in mind that SSATP is somewhat smaller than the Grande and the rooms are individual cottages as opposed to the big towers... Some prefer that, some don't.

I can honestly tell you that I seriously doubt that you would be at all disappointed with any one of the other two Sunsets though. Personally, the Grande would actually be my last choice of the three.

Of course you may well end up where you planned anyway!

Blessings and respect to you, I hope we have helped you not to worry so much. You will love Jamaica no matter where you stay.

Steve

New Jersey
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Turning into a stress vacation

raideric24, We were booked for the Sunset Jamaica Grande May 28-June3rd. When they missed their March 18th deadline to re-open, I decided to book a different resort. I too researched this resort, and having never been to Jamaica, and saving all year for our vacation, was very disappointed. But I would have been more disappointed to be scrambling at he last minute. We are now going to the Clubhotel Riu Negril. This was very comparable in price, and looked like a great resort, and so we changed to avoid the stressing out. Sunset Jamaica Grande looks like a great resort...but we'll save again and try it another time. Good Luck!! And a website that has pics and info on Club Riu Negril is riubambu.com/RIU_WEB_PAGES/…NEGRIL.htm

Michigan
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turning into a stress vacation

We were booked to stay at the Sunset Jamaica Grande April 2-9. We ended up having to stay at the Starfish Trelawny which was nice but not as nice as what the pictures, etc. showed the Grande to be. We went on a Dunn's River and snorkeling excursion and saw the Jamaica Grande. It is FAR from being completed. When we went by, there were many workers, on Jamaican time. No one was working, only lounging. They have a lot of work to do before that place is going to be completed. Also, the beach didn't look all that great. Not much of it and no where to walk. Good luck. If you are travelling with a family the Starfish was nice although the rooms need upgrading.