We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to roam around Jamaica during the day?

Which Ocho Rios hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cleveland, ohio
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to roam around Jamaica during the day?

My colleagues at work all were kind of worried when I told them I had booked a vacation in Jamaica at the Jamaica Inn. They said to just stay on the resort, because they've known people who have been mugged/robbed outside of the resort. My husband and I are planning to go to Dunn Falls, Dolphin Cove, the Bike Ride, and the Wednesday flea market. We aren't planning to go to Kingston, but we do like to explore culture (and not just tourist traps) and would at least like to go to the much-talked about local Wednesday market. Any ideas?

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,786 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is it safe to roam around Jamaica during the day?

The Blue Mountains are unforgettable...I'd certainly keep that, maybe see a little more pf Portland while you're there if possible, Blue Lagoon, Winnifred Beach, jerk at Boston Bay.

Steve i don't know which market they meant but the food market was a lot of fun and no one was very pushy, though I had offers from some guys to carry my bags around for me.

There are a lot of Chinese people in Jamaica, have been for generations, I don't think as Asians you will stick out particularly.

Most J'cans are some combination of African, Chinese, Indian, European, Lebanese.....it's a real melting pot.

Massachussetts
Level Contributor
347 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is it safe to roam around Jamaica during the day?

we feel safer walking arround Jamaica then we do in some parts of New York City........this doesn't hold for Kingston....For the rest of Jamaica when approached by aggressive selling a polite no and a genuine smile has always worked for us.

Milwaukee, WI
1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: Is it safe to roam around Jamaica during the day?

Just got back Thursday, our second visit to Ochi. The places you mention are all very safe tourist type adventures/sites. We did the bike trip, great scenery and a wonderful way to see the country away from the city/tourist type of things. The biking itself is only about 2 hours or a little less, but it's an all- day trip including the bus rides, meals, etc. One of our taxi drivers in town told us the biking part was cut back because the roads up above have been washed out. If you are going out at night in town you'll see a lot of people out on the streets, but very few are tourists. Being white we probably stood out, but we never felt threatened, just a lot of offers for taxis or "smokes" even though we're in the 50 year-old range. Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville is day-time more like a restaurant, night-time a hip-hop club, loud dj-music aimed at 18-35 crowd. Day time the streets are very busy and very safe, a lot safer than many U.S. cities.

baton rouge
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Is it safe to roam around Jamaica during the day?

I would not say 'unsafe', however, it is overwhelming if you leave the shopping malls for the market vendors. My husband and I walked across the street to the vendors to look for a sandollar for my son, he was grabbed by arm (gently) and offered coc and pot while I was separated from him by some other vendors (they literally grabbed my wrist and walked me into their 'booth'. I will admit that my hairs stood up and I frantically started searching Kirk..... when he got to me he said "Lets go!"

We loved shopping at the malls and buying watches and jewelry, but I would be cautious and warn your group to not allow yourselves to be separated as we were. Definately go shopping in the shops around Margaritaville! That was the best! A cheeseburger, fries, and coke were $15 but also the best meal I had during my trip!!! We went their 3 times just so I could eat!! lol Have fun!