We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf in Mobay

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Golf in Mobay

Could anybody give any info on the golf courses in mobay. I will be heading there for two weeks next month and would like to play a round or two. where to play how much to play, club hire etc.

Cheers

Jason

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
12,940 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golf in Mobay

There are a few...

White Witch

Tryall

Half Moon

Ironshore

...if there are others I am not aware of them. White Witch is considered the best by golfers I have spoken to.

I only know the price for Ironshore from several years ago, I think it is the cheapest and it was around $100pp with caddy (which is required, I think) and club rental and maybe a cart....

Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Golf in Mobay

Jason,

There are 5 courses in and around Montego Bay: Tryall, to the west of Mobay and site of the Johnny Walker event held several years ago is generally considered to be a very good layout. I don't know about availability if you're not staying there.

To the east within 15 minutes of the airport there are four courses: Ironshore -which I've never played and don't know much about except that it is the least favored when compared against the White Witch, Cinnamon Hills and Half Moon. You can find out more info on the latter three courses at the Rose Hall Golf Association website: www.rosehallgolf.com. -though it appears the rates are dated for the low season that ended Dec. 15th. in two instances .

Alternatively, try www.halfmoon.com and go to their golf page. Half Moon has the best practice facilities on island, including a David Leadbetter instructional program, short game area and drving range. It is a great course to walk with a caddy. In fact, caddies are mandatory, carts, on the other hand, are not. Recently renovated, the Robert Trent jones designed course is widely considered to be the best conditioned on island. If the greens are double cut that day, you'll find putting to be a challenge with the strong Trade winds blowing from the east. Great resort layout, not overly taxing nor tricked up. Plays 7,200 yards from the tips and about 5,200 from the senior tees so enough challenges for all levels of skill. It's tough to lose a ball as the caddies are uncanny in their abilities.

White Witch (associated with the Ritz) is a beautiful course perched along the ridge of mountains overlooking the sea. Breathtaking views, big elevation changes in the course, carts are required, but well worth playing. A very tough course and generally most golfers over a 10 handicap will go through at least one sleeve of balls per nine. It's a special venue, but patience is a must given the challenges.

Cinnamon Hills is associated with the Rose Hall Resort (formerly the Wyndham). It winds from the hills to the ocean and is the most varied topographically. It is an intriguing course with numerous items of interest along the routing. From Johnny Cash's Jamaica home, waterfalls used in an early James Bond movie, aqueduct ruins, seaside holes, graveyards and wonderful foliage the course is a romantic layout if there can be such a thing. Carts are necessary, too, here.

Half Moon, White Witch and Cinnamon Hills are about five minutes from one another. If you have time to play 36 in a day, its easily done as Half Moon can be played in no more than 3 to 3 and one half hours. White Witch and Cinnamon Hills will take longer to play but are a lot of fun, too.

Oh, one more thing, keep the ball under the wind.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Golf in Mobay

Hi Champion

Many thanks for the info it's much appreciated

Regards

Jason

Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Golf in Mobay

My pleasure.

Jamaica is becoming better known as a golf destination. Ask for Kenn Depew at the White Witch or Kevyn Cunningham at Half Moon pro shops to set you up at either venue. There is a new pro at Cinnamon Hills whom I've not met yet, but no doubt they'll make you feel welcome there, too..

Good luck.

5. Re: Golf in Mobay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 am, August 25, 2009