We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

i want to bring back a food

Toronto
Level Contributor
532 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
i want to bring back a food

gift for a Jamaican friend. It can't be perishable...is there some kind of special treat that is uniquely Jamaican that anyone might suggest...candy or something

thanks

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: i want to bring back a food

jerk sauce, hot sauce, rum cream, coffee!!! enjoy

Toronto
Level Contributor
532 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: i want to bring back a food

thanks...all great ideas

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: i want to bring back a food

Blue Mountain Coffee for sure.

And the jerk and hot sauces are also a great idea!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: i want to bring back a food

Blue Mountain Coffee, Rum Cakes and Sangsters Rum Creme

Too Far North
Level Contributor
324 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: i want to bring back a food

I always bring back a couple of cans of Akee, get it at the airport, kind of pricey but cannot be bought where we live. Made Akee and Saltfish last week, yummy!

babylon
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: i want to bring back a food

C-o-c-k Soup Mix!!! ( I can't use the whole word 'cause TA thinks it's a profanity!)

I use it as kind of a spice mix....I'll empty a package into a pot of chicken soup (which is probably how your friend would use it), I threw some in a gumbo I made recently, it'd probably be pretty cool if you're making turkey burgers, etc....

plus, they're cheap and don't take up a lot of room in your luggage...

Pa.
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: i want to bring back a food

When I was in Jamaica last summer a friend there wanted to send something back to the states to her sister, so she had me bring her sister a can of cheese from her She said it is the best and her sister can get nothing like it now that she lives in the states. And when i was was carrying it back to my room one of the people working there commented on it being a smart purcahse as it is very good. When I said it was not for me but a gift he suggested i get one for myself too.

Negril, Jamaica
Level Contributor
836 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: i want to bring back a food

Sabretooth, for sweet treats made on the island that travel well...how about peanut brittle, grater cakes, cocnut drops, gizzardas, or jackass corn?

The peanut brittle can be purchased in grocery stores or in the larger gas stations, along with the jackass corn. The grater cakes, coconut drops and gizzardas you you will find at small pastry shops or side walk shops, typically in the countryside, but surely the big cities like MoBay or Ochi will have small shops off the main tourist drags where you can get these island specialties.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,613 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: i want to bring back a food

In Toronto you can find mostly anything Jamaican - I personally can't find anything here in NoCal, but here's my short list anyway...

Blue Mountain Coffee (the real deal!)

Gray's Spicy Sauce

Gray's Hot Sauce

Those little packages of spice mix that they sell at Wise Choice

Powdered Coconut Milk

La Mesa, California
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: i want to bring back a food

It's not really a suggestion but I always bring back sugar. The 3 or 5 pound bags of the raw, brown stuff. The last time a customs broker saw my bags of sugar she asked: "mon, don't you have sugar where you live?" I told her;"ya mon, but not JAMAICAN sugar"

She smiled.