We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Mobay...any recommendation for the most scenic

Toronto
Level Contributor
532 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Mobay...any recommendation for the most scenic

drive from there...some say Mobay to Negril.

Thanks

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Mobay...any recommendation for the most scenic

for sure....Mobay to Negril is a lovely drive along the coastline. Is this your first time to the island? If so....def check out Negril. Try and get your driver to stay for the sunset...truly spectacular esp from the cliffs in Negril. I trust you are hiring a driver? Enjoy

Toronto
Level Contributor
532 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Mobay...any recommendation for the most scenic

thx withrespect.....yes this is my first trip and we will hire a driver

all the best

Toronto
Level Contributor
532 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Mobay...any recommendation for the most scenic

What would be a fair price for a return trip Mobay - Negril by taxi for the whole day....or should we take different taxis each way?

Thx

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,145 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Mobay...any recommendation for the most scenic

If you go to Negri I recommend taking the mountain route going and the coast road coming back. I personally think the mountain way is a lot prettier, but the coast is nice too...no reason not to do both.

I suggest that order because hte coast road is faster and should you be returning at dark, safer - it's a highway with few houses, poeple walking along it.

Toronto
Level Contributor
532 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Mobay...any recommendation for the most scenic

Thx Ohliz and Withrespect...great info,,,will follow ur advice

babylon
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Mobay...any recommendation for the most scenic

I''ll second liz's recommendation....hire a driver for the day....tell him you wanna take the road outta MoBay from Reading to Ferris Cross....then over to Negril....

don't rush to Ferris Cross....take your time and enjoy the scenery....I may get some flack here, but I think the mountains in Jamaica provide much better views than the beaches do....

:-)

Toronto
Level Contributor
532 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Mobay...any recommendation for the most scenic

Thanks DaveR...sounds like a plan...will do!!!

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,145 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Mobay...any recommendation for the most scenic

I agree...you'll see plenty of beach just going from the airport to mobay and most anyplace else you go...but the mountains are special, unique. Tiverton used to have a great list of places to stop along that route, I will see if I can find it because i did save it....

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,145 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Mobay...any recommendation for the most scenic

Found it! Bear in mind it's a couple of years old so ask your driver if all of it is still open/there/whatever. Thanks tiverton:

If you take B8, the mountain route from Reading to Ferris Cross on the South Coast either way into/outta Negril, there are some interesting diversions, aside from the vistas.

At Anchovy/Rocklands, one can feed hummingbirds by hand at Lisa Salmon's Bird Sanctuary, just a short drive off the main.

You'll pass through citrus country--most of it bank-owned plantations. Stop at any roadside stand for fresh citrus (ortanique is the pebbly orange/green ORANGE to look for since it's the sweetest on island, a cross between tangerines and sweet oranges). You'll also see bags of sweet oranges, grapefruit or the sweeter pomelo or shaddock, limes, breadfruit and plenty of small shops for a cold Red Stripe.

The Lethe Estate is also just off the road, as near Whithorn, the road to the Blue Hole Gardens in Roaring River.

Also at Whithorn, the road straight up the mountain has a private road off it, after some hairy, twisy airplane-turn climbs, that leads to the ruins of Caledonia Great House, and the private Mountambrin estate (lunch available as are accomodations with advance notice--see www.mountambrin.com), the former retreat of Alex ('Roots') Haley. A marvel of eccentric sculptures and structures, the main house is a Frank Lloyd Wright-style beauty built by a 1930s overseer of the sugarcane plantation that stretches out 2 miles below in the valley out to sea. The quiet, the botanical gardens, the views here are mind-boggling.

Once you hit the South Coast at Ferris Cross, Tony Clarke's Paradise Park --look for the classic guardhouse and twin palms -- offers horseback riding through the huge grounds and beach/surf. The Univ.of Fla has ongoing archaeological digs here for early Taino cultures.

If you want to experience a real market town, the hot one long street crammed with sellers Sav/Savannah La Mar has a huge covered market at the very end at left (with a very good shop selling 'patties'in the alley just before it). You'll find numtmeg with the mace still on and homemade graters, baskets, meat,fruit,veg -- everything here fresh. Sav was the setting of Ian Fleming's book 'The Man with the Golden Gun' and has a certain scrufty hurry-hurry charm amidst all the noise.

En route to Negril, you'll see large farms for tilapia/nile perch/pond fish for both the local and export market. In Negril, order it as an escoveitch, fried first, then bathed in a vinaigrette sauce and served warm or cold.

Toronto
Level Contributor
532 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in Mobay...any recommendation for the most scenic

wow....you are awesome ohliz....i've copied this and willl think of your wonderful insights as each special landmark is noted along my way