We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you tell people when?

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
What do you tell people when?

Just thought this could be fun. What do you tell people when they ask you why you go in the Caribbean in the summer?

For me this is it:

- I am sure not to work, if I stay home, I will do millions of projects

- No cooking (husband doesn’t cook)

- Nicer weather, Ottawa’s weather so far…sucks!!!!

- Cheaper than in season, nice time to try those destination that are too cold for winter visit or too expensive (Bahamas)

What’s your excuse?

Cheers and see you in 8 days at SWO.

Alex

Ocala, Florida
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios, Negril, Montego Bay
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you tell people when?

People never ask me that since we live in Florida --- but when we are in Jamaica they ask why we go there since we live in Florida --- guess we are supposed to go north for our vacations. And since we go to Jamaica a lot people here always ask why we don't move there --- and I always say because I would not have people to wait on me, clean my house or cook my food.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you tell people when?

Because any time is a good time to be in the Caribbean!

Seriously, living in California I don't get asked much either. It is probably cooler in Jamaica right now then here (high of 102 today!).

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,877 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you tell people when?

We went twice with our kids in July as they were out of school - so obviously a good time to go. And we went once in August with friends for their vow renewal as that was when their anniversary fell. Otherwise, we opt for the fall over our anniversary and end of Jan/early Feb to escape the winter in New England.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you tell people when?

Scuba you need to come out to the coast - a breezy and clear 75 degrees here all day - bright sunshine!

I personally do not go to Jamaica to get away from the weather but after spending nearly half my life in humidity you won't catch me there in the summer lol.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,601 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you tell people when?

I live at the beach in Delaware. It is cooler in Jamaica in August then here most of the time because of the breeze. Plus the beaches here are too crowded, too many kids and the water is cold.

We go in April because the rates are cheaper and grandmom will puppysit once it stops snowing.

Calgary
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you tell people when?

Alex: Have a great trip to SWO!!! Please let us know how your trip goes....we (me) were looking at Secrets a few months ago so it's on our 'radar' for 2016. *tons of hugs* :)))

Sorry for highjacking but you know me...lol

Edited: 9:19 pm, July 30, 2014
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you tell people when?

People know us so well they don't even ask any more. They know Mrs. SRCFan calls Jamaica Magic Land, and enough said. Headed back to 'home' SRC in about 6 weeks!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you tell people when?

LOL CC, you and I haickacking treads...NAAAAAAAAA . I will send you a private message when I return to tell you all about it.

SRCFan...I so wanted to go back to SRC but our adult kids (son and daughter) are travelling with us and did not want to share the same bed nor one of them sleep on a roll a bed for 10 days (I totally understand). I will return to SRC for sure but I did spend the day ...(following CC advice) at Sandals Negril and that is also on my list.

Rastagirl, my husband loves that humidity...I know :( I can tolerated because of the pool, beach and wind and maybe also because I do ....nothing!!!!!!!

Frodo, I guet what you are saying. We are having a terrible summer here. Cold, rainy and windy. I am so looking forward to the three Ss. Sea, Sunshine and Smile (jamaican smile).

Mfickye, We get the same reaction from people here because our summer are normally hot and humid so, people think we are crazy to spend that amount of money to go to another hot and sunny place.

I was just curious to know if you had to explain your summer vacation to friends and colleagues. Thanks guys for sharing.

Alex

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you tell people when?

Holly typo Batman...sorry guys

:(

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you tell people when?

I have been asked a few times, why Jamaica, out of all the islands to visit did we chose that for our honeymoon and chose to return again next year.

My answer is truthfully underwhelming to start. I actually was originally thinking Bahamas for our honeymoon. I am not sure why but I guess I just had it drilled in my head that its where everyone goes for a honeymoon. But once I decided on Sandals and saw the prices...I decided I better open my search a bit to find a lower cost vacation. Thats when I started researching Jamaica and fell in love with it. After going there, I can't imagine our first trip to the Caribbean any other way. I do still want to visit the Bahamas and some other islands in the future. My husband and I are not usually the types to return to the same places over and over when we want to see more of the world. But we had such an exceptional time, we already knew we would be returning. We are about to start planning our trip for fall of 2015!