We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experienced visitor who hates AI's has a question about AI's

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
828 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Experienced visitor who hates AI's has a question about AI's

WOw haven't been here (or to Jamaica) in a while but I am an experienced visitor and have been ALL OVER the island. I don't like AI's but am planning a trip with my 17 year old daughter who wants to "party" and I don't think letting her loose on Negril Beach is a smart move. We did an AI when she was 9 years old and she loved it (kids program) but now she is 17 and I am a 49 year old widow. I had hoped to go to Iberostar Suites but WOW ITS EXPENSIVE. I liked that it seemed to have enough to keep her entertained AND is in close proximity to Half Moon where she would do a few days at their Equestrian Center learning Polo. I wouldn't mind staying at Half Moon but it's too expensive and she would be bored (except she would be at the stables all day). I was shocked at how expensive even the HIlton Rose Hall has become! I really want to do a Montego Bay trip with her as she has been to Ocho Rios (age 9-when the RIU opened) and Negril (age 12-Coco La Palm-too quiet for her now at age 17). I trust my daughter's judgement on safety issues but me alone at an AI---well its just not Jamaican enough but I'd be OK. so she could have a blast (we both REALLY need a vacation) Suggestions?

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Experienced visitor who hates AI's has a question about AI's

what about Coyaba

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Experienced visitor who hates AI's has a question about AI's

I thought about Coyaba too. I've stayed there and liked it. I don't, however, see it as a party place that would offer much excitement for a teen. You might check prices on Secrets.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Experienced visitor who hates AI's has a question about AI's

i thought of Secrets as well but i think you need to be 18.

I personally think Jewel Runaway Bay would be perfect.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Experienced visitor who hates AI's has a question about AI's

I think you are right about the age limit. Jewel RB would be great! I have not stayed there but the management seems to be on their game and reviews are very good.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Experienced visitor who hates AI's has a question about AI's

That won't work either. I just looked and JRB has an 18 age limit too.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,710 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Experienced visitor who hates AI's has a question about AI's

JRB is a family resort; they take infants as guests. Perhaps you were looking and Jewels Paradise Cove, which does have an 18yo minimum age.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Experienced visitor who hates AI's has a question about AI's

Well, maybe I was. I didn't think that sounded right.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
828 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Experienced visitor who hates AI's has a question about AI's

Thank you all. Funny but I was thinking Coyoba and Jewel Runaway Bay as well. It does take kids/teens. Then I was thinking maybe do 4 nights chillin at Coyoba for me while my daughter does her equestrian thing at Half Moon and 4 nights of party time at an AI anywhere. I am concerned that with JRB she will be too far from Half Moon's equestrian stuff. It would be 3 days of equeestrian lessons as she is a horse loving girl...I wanted her to have that experience. I do think she can forgo it for a party time at JRB (whether I can survice a week as a middle aged single at an AI is another story). I should call Half Moon directly and see if they can arrange a reasoable package for us includign massive horse time for her. She is way beyond the typical beach or trail ride. Country Western half an hour out of Negril had her gallopping with a herd and she would love to learn polo. Keep those suggestions coming...and thank you all.

9. Re: Experienced visitor who hates AI's has a question about AI's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 09, 2015