We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What did you NOT pack that you WISHED you packed?

Hagersville, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What did you NOT pack that you WISHED you packed?

We're going to Riu Palace Jamaica in mid October this year, and I'm making up a packing list already (I'm way too excited right now). It's our first all inclusive, first time in Jamaica, first time going ANYWHERE basically. We are travelling as a couple, early 30's.

What items did you wish you packed when you were on vacation? What items did you really expect to need while you were down there, but ended up not using? I'm trying to keep my packing light, and would love any tips you have!

Thank you in advance

United States
Level Contributor
11,844 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What did you NOT pack that you WISHED you packed?

For 35 answers to this question try the following

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k660…

Edited: 1:40 pm, June 15, 2014
Calgary
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What did you NOT pack that you WISHED you packed?

Melissa: This question is easy for us. Second night at SN, I was attacked by 'no see ums' that had snuck into our room and attacked me while I was sleeping...not sandfleas. The bites on my forehead turned into major welts and I looked like Elephant Man by the morning. Of course my other half escaped without one bite. Sent hubs to the SN gift shop to buy a tube of After Bite. It cost $10 US. Next time, we will be taking something similar, but cheaper! Good news was that I looked almost normal by the afternoon! Just be sure to take enough sunscreen, bug repellent and antiseptic since all the resort shops are VERY expensive.

Have a great trip! You will LOVE Jamaica.

Georgia
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What did you NOT pack that you WISHED you packed?

Melissa, I also did my first trip to JA in my mid 30's & like you was super excited! So much so I overpacked lol. Most days unless leaving for excursions you spend all day in a swimsuit & a cover up. My advice keep it simple, you won't need as much as you think for day time:)

Noblesville, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What did you NOT pack that you WISHED you packed?

Underwear!......Electronic charging cords!.mp3, phone etc.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What did you NOT pack that you WISHED you packed?

Melisa T: If you would like the packing lists we use for our Jamaica vacations just send me a TripAdvisor private message with an appropriate email address to send them too. The lists are pretty well honed by our experiences at a Sandals resort so certain things are left off the lists, like an umbrella, travel iron, etc. because all of these are provided in the room...but they'll give you a start.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What did you NOT pack that you WISHED you packed?

A word of advice. Pack all the clothes you think you are going to need a week in advance. Wait a day or so and then take half of them out. That's what you'll need.

Just about everything you will need is available in Jamaica, maybe just a little more expensive than at home (if you do need to get something, do it away from the resort).So don't over think it and try to plan for every little thing that might happen. Take sun screen, insect repellent, after bite care, and call it good.

Also, make sure you have travel insurance, just in case.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
830 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What did you NOT pack that you WISHED you packed?

After a couple AI trips a few of the things I added to my regular packing were antihistamines, laundry detergent for rinsing out bathing suits of salt water and sunscreen, spray sunscreen to apply to my scalp, and a few cheap wire hangers (often the closets at hotels don't have enough hangers). If you or the people you are traveling with have sensitive skin or hair I would also suggest taking a couple packets of Aveeno oatmeal bath treatment, I have used it when my skin was irritated by bug bites or just too much sun, I also take UV spray for my hair so it doesn't get too fried, and cooling lotion, which I actually use on my feet after a long day being in the hot sand.

Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What did you NOT pack that you WISHED you packed?

GHD hair straighteners that WILL work in Jamaica, I'm from England and mine and my friends would not work. Bummer. Holiday hair is great tho, you will love Jamaica. No worries

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What did you NOT pack that you WISHED you packed?

2 things mostly. Repellent with deet. Mine was deet free and did little to repell the ninja mosquitos that love to dine my my legs. left with 13 bites one one leg and 11 on another.

The second thing was pepsi. I am a soda addict and unfortunately the soda in Jamaica (even brand) does not taste quite the same. It wasn't bad but if you are a regular drinker of brand soda/ice tea ect....consider taking a bottle just to have a taste of home while there.

Edited: 6:55 pm, June 16, 2014
nova scotia
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What did you NOT pack that you WISHED you packed?

always on our list now: bendy-straws, for our Bubba Kegs and clothes pins for hanging swimsuits to dry ( we do this in our room now with fan on and they dry!) and to keep those curtains closed! Bug dope, afterbite, a given...

Enjoy!