We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nicest beach in Montego Bay

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, ny
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Nicest beach in Montego Bay

Hey, we are traveling to MB in August and wanted to know if any other beaches outside the resort beaches are worth going to. Doctor's cave beach, public beach near Sandals Carlyle? Thoughts??

United States
Level Contributor
11,074 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nicest beach in Montego Bay

"wanted to know if any other beaches outside the resort beaches are worth going to."

This is totally a value judgment on your part. I would skip it myself.

"Doctor's cave beach, public beach near Sandals Carlyle?"

This is the best beach in town. If you are staying at Sandals Carlyle why not try the free beach across the street from the hotel first? Then I would take the free bus from the Carlyle to the other two Sandals in Montego Bay. If none of these three are to your liking then try (and pay to use) Doctor's Cave.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nicest beach in Montego Bay

I agree with the above - if staying at Carlyle, shuttle to SRC or SMB - I liked the beach at both resorts.

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
8,142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Nicest beach in Montego Bay

Cornwall and Aquasol are nice beaches!!!

It cost about 6USD definatly go off resort and see one...Cornall is small with a reef very close

PEACE!

Rochester, ny
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nicest beach in Montego Bay

Thanks bushgrl, I know the resort beaches are awesome but wanted to see a bit more if the island while we are there. I'll try either Cornwal or another for a cultural day. Does anyone find vendors to be too pusy when venturing outside the resorts? On our honeymoon ten yrs ago a local wanted to braid my hair and after I said no thank you, so waited at a corner until I got back to that area to ask again. That was about two hours later! She was very pushy and in my face. Hopefully just an isolated incident but it made me very uncomfortable.

Anyway, still want to get outside the resort walls and see a bit of the beautiful island beaches. Just want to know which are good and safe. Many thanks!! :-)

United States
Level Contributor
11,074 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nicest beach in Montego Bay

"I know the resort beaches are awesome"

Resorts in the Montego Bay area are not known for having 'awesome' beaches. Beaches in other parts of the island are better.

"wanted to see a bit more if the island while we are there. I'll try either Cornwal or another for a cultural day."

Keep in mind that Doctor's Cave Beach is just over 1 mile from Sandals Carlyle and Cornwal Beach is even closer to your hotel. Both are located just down the street from your hotel (turn left as you leave the Carlyle to reach either beach).

"Does anyone find vendors to be too pusy when venturing outside the resorts?"

There have been any number of complaints on this forum about pushy beach vendors over the years by various people.

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
8,142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Nicest beach in Montego Bay

MOntego Bay beaches are pay beaches for everyone so only authorized vendors are there....that;s not to say they wont be "pushy" but usually low key especially if its not a ship day (cruise ships port in Mobay and falmouth come to the beach).

If you want an experience take a drive along the coast and chek out Bluefield beach...can be done on the way to YS falls if you are planning an excursion. There are many nice local cove beaches along the way as well!

PEACE!

Rochester, ny
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nicest beach in Montego Bay

Thanks everyone! "Pushy" not pusy lol. We've been to negril and ocho rios and like montego bay the best because it seemed the water was more clear and calm. Negril was definatly a close second for water quality and the beach area is larger (7 mile beach).

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
8,142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Nicest beach in Montego Bay

Many people underestimate the sea in Montego bay! usually complaints are about Mobay not the sea and for many years I have noticed the calm clear aqua sea in Mobay and hardly anyone comments on it. I think it does have to do with people staying at resorts which either have man helpling qualities (not really man made) and not as nice as Cornwall or Aqua Sol.

Any part of the sea or any beach in Jamaica is amazing over any sea/beach you will find here!

PEACE!

9. Re: Nicest beach in Montego Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 11, 2015