We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for resort please

Cloverdale, Canada
Level Contributor
262 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for resort please

I was lucky enough to earn a free trip to Montego Bay through my work, and we'll be staying at Secrets Wild Orchid for 4 nights in July. Since it's such a short time I'd like to extend our trip but don't want to stay at Secrets as it's over budget. What I'm looking for:

~All inclusive

~Under $300/couple for the night, if we could get closer to $200 that would rock

~Not too far from Secrets Wild Orchid to make for an easy switch

Thanks for any tips as I start looking around :) We're adding the extra days at the beginning of the trip if that makes it any different.

TIA!

United States
Level Contributor
11,378 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for resort please

"Not too far from Secrets Wild Orchid"

This implies you want a Montego Bay resort.

"Under $300/couple for the night, if we could get closer to $200 that would rock"

Under $US300 can be done but $US200 is a stretch even in 'low season'. This is assuming your dates are not around the July 1 and July 4 holidays when the rates of most places may be higher and the room availability lower. Try looking at the following hotels

Adults only: Sandals Carlyle (but none of the other Sandals)

Family resorts (read 'with children'): Hilton Rose Hall, RIU Clubhotel Montego Bay (but not the RIU Jamaica), Holiday Inn, Sunset Beach (but not Oasis at Sunset), and Royal Decameron.

Sunset Beach is next to Secrets and is the easiest to switch to. The Royal Decameron is the closest to your $US200 goal.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,547 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for resort please

I am a little concerned that after staying at a higher-end resort like Secrets first that if you go too far down in the price, you will be in culture shock at the new place compared to Secrets. I would recommend checking out Sandals Carlyle. The great thing about staying there is that you are able to enjoy the other two larger Sandals properties in Montego Bay. As a matter of fact, you can catch a complimentary shuttle and stay all day at the other properties coming back to sleep in the evenings. The reason you might want to go to the other properties during the day is that the beach at Sandals Carlyle is a small, public beach that can get noisy and crowded. If you want to have dinner at the other properties, you would need to make your dinner reservation in advance meaning at least the day before. The rooms at Sandals Carlyle are very comfortable and nice. The pool is nice with the rooms surrounding it in a courtyard fashion. This is a smaller inn property, but it includes all of the benefits of using the much larger Sandals properties with numerous amenities in Mo Bay, it's a great value. (I know that they had a kitchen fire there within the last few weeks, so just make sure they are re-opened after the renovations.)

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,834 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for resort please

RIU Montego Bay comes in at US$145 per person per night for mid-July. It is a large resort (700+ rooms) and you may have a minimum stay requirement. It is a family resort.

Marion, Iowa
Level Contributor
803 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for resort please

I agree with ginsha. I would try and go to the cheaper hotel first, then finish at secrets. We stayed next door to secrets at the sunset beach resort, but, we stayed in the oasis part, before it was separate. The price was very good. And we had our kids wit us.

Marion, Iowa
Level Contributor
803 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for resort please

I agree with ginsha. I would try and go to the cheaper hotel first, then finish at secrets. We stayed next door to secrets at the sunset beach resort, but, we stayed in the oasis part, before it was separate. The price was very good. And we had our kids wit us.

Marion, Iowa
Level Contributor
803 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for resort please

I just read your question again and it says you are adding days at the beginning of the trip. That is good!

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,691 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for resort please

One year we did couples then Royal Decameron. It was a total disappointment even though it was not our first trip to both. With that said for sure go to Secrets LAST. The easy switch would be Sunset beach. You could walk over to secrets. We were not crazy about the place but it would be Ok for a few nights and it is close. We Enjoyed RIU MoBay.

8. Re: Recommendations for resort please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 am, April 28, 2014
9. Re: Recommendations for resort please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 30, 2015