We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montego Bay Airport... Duty Free Alcohol Packaging

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
365 reviews
Save Topic
Montego Bay Airport... Duty Free Alcohol Packaging

"As of January 31, 2014, passengers traveling internationally into the U.S. and connecting to another flight are allowed to have in their carry-on baggage liquids in excess of 3.4 ounces (100 mL) that were purchased as duty-free merchandise. This only applies to products purchased in duty-free stores, placed in an intact designated secure, tamper-evident bag, and successfully screened and cleared by TSA officers. Scanning may not be effective for liquids in opaque, ceramic, or metallic bottles, or other containers. Liquids that cannot be screened and cleared will not be allowed to remain in carry-on baggage. Customers may choose to place these items into checked baggage or throw them away."

This quote was taken from United Airway's website. Yesterday we flew United from MBJ to Newark, NJ for a connecting flight to Rochester, NY. We purchased 2 bottles of Jamaican Rum Cream and 2 smaller bottles at Duty Free. It was packed for travel per regulations. Unfortunately when we got to Newark they would not allow it, and our choice was to check another bag for $40 (unfortunately I was already thru security just ahead of my husband, and when they stopped him our 1 checked bag was checked in his name so they were going to charge him for a 2nd bag), throw it away, or "give" it to someone...namely a Security Gate Agent would be great! Since we'd only paid $32 for alcohol to begin with it didn't make sense to pay another $40 and my husband being the nice guy gave it to a gate agent. Yup...think we were "rolled" by the security!!

But the reason I am posting this is so that others don't have the same problem. It looked very securely packaged to me-but Newark wasn't letting it through. Since this is a fairly new rule and hasn't been tested much yet you may want to think twice about buying alcohol at Duty Free. We had bought 2 small bottles of Sangster's Rum Cream and packed in our checked bag...so at least we brought some home. On an additional note-Sangster's is no longer available at Duty Free-and IMO Sangster's is the BEST!

1. Re: Montego Bay Airport... Duty Free Alcohol Packaging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 21, 2015