We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bumping and tipping at the RDMB

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
107 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bumping and tipping at the RDMB

Hi all

I will be going to the RDMB in 2 weeks time and staying for 2 weeks, I cant wait. I have been reading the comments on the forum for the past month or so, and notice that people are bumped quite often. Does anyone know if this normally happens to people who stay for only a few nights or am I more likely to be bumped as I will be there longer.

Also, I have read with the interest the thread about tipping etc. Could someone give me an idea of what kinds of things would be appropriate to take as gifts for the locals and how much tipping is appropriate (i.e. in monetary terms).

Thanks for any advice.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bumping and tipping at the RDMB

Hi Belford, RDMB has fantastic ocean views from every room! It's an excellent value spot imo.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind their bumping. Silly isn't it? to be hoping for the best?

Although as you are going for 2 weeks...you may want to consider an "upgrade" if offered just so you can see a different part of the island while there. I'm not sure if this is your first trip to JA or not.

If you want to see a different resort....only accept the bump if it's in Negril....or even Runaway Bay to their other property. Do not accept the Holiday Inn in Mobay. This would not be an upgrade for sure!

As far as tipping goes....there is lots of advise on this forum...please type in tipping in the search box above.

Here is also a link...for tipping in a/i.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147311-i93-k57915…

Seems about standard to tip the porters a buck or two per bag. $3-$5 for housekeeping, a couple of bucks each at meals, drinks ...$1 per every 2 drink? Others at random. Enjoy!

Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
107 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bumping and tipping at the RDMB

Thanks for the info with respect. Much appreciated. I must have missed the link you gave when it came round, but then Im not too experienced with forums ;o)

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bumping and tipping at the RDMB

np...any questions...please ask away! ONE LOVE!

Too Far North
Level Contributor
324 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bumping and tipping at the RDMB

When I stayed at RDMB I was supposed to be there for one week. Was bumped to Holiday Inn and given no other choice. Was not happy at all! The room we got had no view except for the room next door, this is instead of my room at RD which was ocean view. Only had to spend one night there but they had bumped so many of us that it took hours for them to bus everyone back to RD and it wasted almost the whole second day.

They gave a choice of a tour, no charge, for having bumped but they were not tours that we were interested in.

Rest of our week was wonderful at RDMB. At least you have two weeks.

Northern VA
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bumping and tipping at the RDMB

How do you avoid getting bumped? I want to got in January to RDMB but will be really upset if they try to bump us....and to Holiday Inn Sunspree? Argghh, that place is not for me!!

Rowlett, Texas
Level Contributor
628 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bumping and tipping at the RDMB

Northtrav, we got bumped in June. I was upset also because I enjoy staying on the "Hip Strip". On my return trip in August we'll be staying at the RDMB also but that's my final stay at this resort. IMO, the service at this hotel has gone down even for repeat guest like myself. I found this nice hotel on the "Hip Strip" that's suitable for my needs while visiting Jamaica. It's owned by a lovely family and I would rather spend my money at this hotel rather than the RDMB.

I'll be leaving for Mo Bay on Wednesday and I can hardly wait!

Candy

Pittsburgh PA
Level Contributor
238 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bumping and tipping at the RDMB

Hi Belford.. we were there for sumfest week, confirmed with apple vacations and hotel before arrival, and although we didn't get bumped, we got stuck in a room with one bed and one small cot. (we are two friends traveling together). After we insisted on being moved into the 2 dbls that we paid for, we were put in a room a day and a half later with no air and no deadbolt. This was intentional, as was the poor treatment we received from the front desk for the remainder of our stay because WE inconvenienced THEM. I think it's a crap shoot... We did everything right to confirm and guarantee our room before arrival, and we were nice as we could be to everyone upon arrival. We still got screwed over because there was 2 of us instead of 4 of us needing a room with 2 dbl beds and the hotel was overbooked. They actually told us that they couldn't 'stick' the other travelers with our room because there was 4 of them... They also told us that the bed arrangements were never guaranteed and that apple vacations lied to us. They said we could only 'request' bed arrangements, and the only thing apple could guarantee was the room itself. I think if you are part of the large percentage of people that get the rooms they reserve then you will be fine. If you are part of the small % that get messed over then you either have to deal with it and be treated ok, or demand to get what you paid for and be treated like crap for the remainder of your stay.

And, to address the one recent review of RDMB where the young lady stated that those with complaints are 'bratty people, etc.' .... first off, why the nastiness and name calling??? My review was quite respectful of other's opinions... I am here to tell you that I'm not a bratty person, in fact I am a regular traveler to MoBay and usually stay (and am quite satisfied) at one of the 2 star hotels on the hip strip that is 'local friendly'. For the sumfest week we decided to go a/l because of crowding and a sumfest event being held across the street from the hotel we usually stay.. This particular young lady has been to the RDMB 3 times since january true. But it's not for the resort itself like she states, but because she is quite involved with one of the watersports guys...to remain nameless as to not get him fired. (Keep it real Miss...you shouldn't have been pointing fingers in your review....tisk tisk.) In my review I stated that I'm happy for the people, including her, that got what they wanted out of the resort, and I do think the property itself is a nice 3 star. I just think the management's policy of overbooking causes a small percentage of people to be undersatisfied and frustrated. The people that had a wonderful vacation at RDMB need to be openminded and realize that for every 95 people that are completely satisfied, there are 5 that are completely outraged and stuck at whatever hotel they've been unwillingly bumped to.....

Respect to all..

US
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bumping and tipping at the RDMB

Candycando, I know it's been a while since you've responded to this posting. However, I was bumped from RDMB for the first time during my trip to MoBay in January and I was NOT happy. You mentioned that you'll now stay at a smaller hotel on the hip strip. Can you give me the name of this hotel? Also, Jamaican bobsled2005, you mentioned in this same posting 2 "local friendly" hotels in the area. Can you give me the names of those hotels? I'll be returning to Jamaica in May and need a place to stay for a few nights. Perhaps it's time I check out alternative places.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bumping and tipping at the RDMB

local friendly mobay hotel: Wexford....ocean views not quite as good as rdmb but at least it has ocean views.

Jamaica Grandiosa...on the hills, very local friendly.

BeachView Apartments....very local friendly...no view. Very economical.

Pittsburgh PA
Level Contributor
238 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bumping and tipping at the RDMB

Hey all... wow, this is an old one! Local friendly....just as withrespect said...the Wexford. Actually, withrespect is right on target...she doesn't beat around the bush...I would take her advise in a heartbeat. I have stayed at the Gloustershire Hotel. It was dreary on the inside while serving it's purpose, but the location is good (across the street from Dr Cave Beach). I don't think they are as 'local friendly' anymore so Wexford would be a better choice if you want a local guest.