We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Custom Times

San Angelo, Texas...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Custom Times

Hi I am traveling from Texas to Montego Bay during springs break in March, I we will be stopping in Miami both ways. How long do I need to go though customs?

United States
Level Contributor
12,026 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Custom Times

On the way out of the US and out of Jamaica you do not stop at customs.

On the way into Jamaica customs will take 5 min. or less.

On the way into the US customs will take 5 min or less (mainly less).

In both Jamaica and the US the actual bottleneck is not customs but rather it is immigration. In both Montego Bay and Miami the amount of time to pass thru immigration is highly variable and depends on the day of the week you arrive, the hour of the day you arrive, and the exact number of planes that arrive just before you arrive. The time you spend in immigration in both Montego Bay and Miami can range from 10 min. to 3 hr. In Montego Bay I normally plan on 20 to 30 min. for immigration and more in Miami.

By the way, my travel agent always suggests avoiding Miami for entry into the US if at all possible. I suggest entering the US at DFW if possible when you return from Jamaica.

Edited: 2:12 pm, December 18, 2013
UK
Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Custom Times

Clearing customs depends on if you have anything to declare. Do you intend to bring anything with you (alcohol/tobacco).

San Angelo, Texas...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Custom Times

Thanks, I booked the flight month ago. American Airlines has changed the flight times on what I had originally booked so now I have to tell them that what they changed will not work.

San Angelo, Texas...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Custom Times

MingMing- No probably not

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
145 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Custom Times

2 hours is usually the least amount of time I would give myself to get through immigration & customs coming back to the US. We have made it through in less time but I usually like my re-entry layover to be at least 2 hours..

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,642 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Custom Times

Going back into the states, I wouldn't do anything less than 2 hours. Don't let the airlines tell you different. Give yourself plenty of time so you aren't rushed to your connecting flight.

San Angelo, Texas...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Custom Times

Thanks! I called the airlines and they actually diverted me away from Miami, we will be flying non stop from DFW!

8. Re: Custom Times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 08, 2015