We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon HELP!!

Toms River, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon HELP!!

Hi everyone, this November my fiancé are taking 10 days for our honeymoon, the problem is we are stuck between two destinations. We are splitting our trip up between two different hotels, 5-a weekish at a sandals property and the remainder some where more boutique. A little info on us is although we like to relax we are looking for activity options and don't want to be bored for 10 days. We are somewhat foodies and enjoy tasting new fusions and good quality food (that's is why Dominican didn't do it for us). We want all inclusive resorts with a budget around 6-7k. Also neither of us are really beach people, we live on the shore and might spend one day a summer on the beach. also we love pools and swim up bars.

So that being said our two choices are:

Sandals Royal Caribbean and a stay at The Caves Negril

-or-

Sandals grande St. Lucia and a short stay at the Ladera resort.

if anybody has any info on their honeymoon experiences in these countries, stay at these resorts, or I will take any other advice you have please respond...it will def be greatly appreciated :)

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Honeymoon HELP!!

<what they offer based on the fact the a particular resort chain I enjoy is located there>

Should have typed NOT based on a resort chain.

Portage, Michigan
Level Contributor
79 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Honeymoon HELP!!

Either option would be great - though I would pick Sandals Grande St Lucian over SRC any day! I have stayed at all Sandals many times, and just returned from SGL. What you want to do while there also depends on your choice of resorts. SRC tends to be very quiet; though can get more lively depending on who is there any given week. And Ladera's location is pretty amazing!

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,160 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Honeymoon HELP!!

@caviargal I see how I was vague, sorry. I honestly didn't prefer any part of St Lucia over Jamaica. Nothing on or off resort was better in my opinion. However, St Lucia had just been hit by hurricane Tomas (our trip was postponed and we literally arrived the first day the airport reopened) so things were not like normal. We had to drive to the resort on closed roads, and it was a scary experience to start our trip. Not to mention being held at the airport for over two hours with them trying to figure out what to do with us! Anyway, the island was without water the entire week we were there. Things were closed the first few days we were there, and things like the zip lines had to be completely rebuilt. And we went snorkeling, and they took us very far out, and it was still so cloudy we couldn't see much. And once the roads reopened, we did see all three Sandals resorts there, and liked SLT best. The peak with the Sunset pool has the nicest views in my opinion, and were worth seeing once, but again, I don't need to go back. Staff were great, too, and some of them had lost their homes in the storm, and were at work smiling like nothing had happened.

So, overall, it wasn't the best time to visit the island. It was still scenic, and the Pitons were nice to see, but I don't think I'd pay the extra to go back again.

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,068 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Honeymoon HELP!!

BSBgirl, I don't blame you based on that experience. I visited JA two weeks after Gilbert ripped it apart and it was pretty bad.

I loved St. Lucia but price of flights and resorts and a full day of travel makes it a rare splurge. We can be in Jamaica in under two hours non stop and pay a lot less.

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,740 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Honeymoon HELP!!

For us, flying out of Toronto, we are lucky in that we have direct flights to St. Lucia (just over 5 hours) vs 4 hours to Jamaica. From my understanding reading various posts over the years on the St. Lucia forum, it sounds like a trip from the US is more complicated as not all major hubs have direct flights to SL.

We've not stayed at the non-Sandals resorts but have stayed several times at SRC and SGSL. We love both resorts for different reasons. SGSL is our 2nd favourite Sandals resort and SRC is our 3rd favourite (our list compiled from having been or stayed at all). Your travel time to SRC is 15 mins from the airport. Travel time to SGSL is 90 minutes providing there is no traffic jam in Castries, though you can take the heli for a much shorter transport. There is also a smaller airport on the north end of the island near SGSL and I understand that some US flights route through Puerto Rico and then land at the northern airport which is 20 mins from the resort.

Just as we love the resorts for different reasons, so too do we love and enjoy both islands. St. Lucia is lush and beautiful...and has some very different beaches than in Jamaica as it is a volcanic island. For us though, our heart is with Jamaica...we try very hard to visit her at least once a year if not more!

Edited: 5:49 pm, April 23, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
16. Re: Honeymoon HELP!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, April 25, 2014