We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just booked the Sunset beach resort! :)

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Just booked the Sunset beach resort! :)

I have just booked Sunset beach resort!! Considering we were meant to be going to Greece this is so exciting, but I just hope we like it as it does get very mixed reviews.

Has anyone got any tips for a first visit to Jamaica, any nice places to eat in Montego bay?

How much is the departure/arrival tax and what currency do you pay in?

Any room recommendations, we are in the standard rooms currently, but have asked for a high floor quiet room. My travel agent offered a standard room with a seaview for £100 and the waterpark Cabana for £200. I think I would prefer the other Cabana's that dont face the waterpark, what are these rooms called please, and how much is the upgrade?

Also does anyone have an email for the hotel?

Sorry for all the questions, I am sooo excited! :) :)

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
107 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just booked the Sunset beach resort! :)

i have been to Sunset Beach a few times...i absolutely love the resort.....will be there again in May and i can't wait!

here's a tip...bring your own insulated cup or mug because the cups they have are quite tiny...

the ocean front cabanas in the west wing are quite lovely...you get an absolutely amazing view of the sunset at night...and you can walk directly onto the beach from your patio...it gets a little noisy when you are in your bathroom, because the windows are directly facing the waterpark with the children, but if you are in the room, you don't hear the noise too much...and at night because there are no children in the pool. it will be quiet....as it is away from the main area where they have entertainment.

wallingford
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just booked the Sunset beach resort! :)

Here's the email contact I've been using:

tclarke@sunsetresortsjm.com (Tanesha Clarke)

It's taken a few days for her to reply, but at least she does. I'd make my room requests asap just to be safe.

And don't forget your watershoes & your own snorkeling gear! (I don't like sharing certain items)

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just booked the Sunset beach resort! :)

Brilliant thanks, I will email and ask for the cost to upgrade to a waterfront cabana. Do these rooms have 2 double beds?

I have my snorkeling gear on standby :) I dont have any watershoes, are these just plastic sandals that you can swim in?

wallingford
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just booked the Sunset beach resort! :)

They're rubber soled shoes with stretchy material that encloses the entire foot-very light weight.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just booked the Sunset beach resort! :)

Ah right thanks Linda I will have a look on Amazon and see if I can find some.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just booked the Sunset beach resort! :)

The houseboat grill is close by SSBR and VERY nice to eat at. It is an old houseboat made into a resturant. You can eat up on top with beautiful views. I think they might come and get you for free when staying so close at SSBR some resturants do that. You could also walk over to the Montego Bay Yacht club. We walked over just to grab a drink and look at all the big boats but they do serve food. Just take a left and walk a block off the resort.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just booked the Sunset beach resort! :)

Thanks for that, thats very useful to know. I have been looking at the menu's online and they look great :)

The Houseboat grill has prices on the website, and it isn;t very expensive. It will make a lovely change one evening.

I have had a reply already about my room upgrade request, saying its $20 per catagory per day and asking what rooms we have currently so she can give me an accurate upgrade price.

I will need to check with my travel agent but I think I am in the most basic. How many room catarories are there please? I can get a 'waterpark room' (I am assuming this must be a waterpark Cabana) for £200 from my T.A so if the beach front cabana is one room upgrade from this, it could work out cheaper for me to do it this way, but it all depends how many room catagories there are.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just booked the Sunset beach resort! :)

Looking online it seems like there are 8 room catagories I am in the most basic a standard view.

If its $20 per room catagory per day it will cost me $700 (£466) to get the beach front cabana that I want :(

Thomas Cook have ocean front room for £78 (catagory 4 by the looks of it)

Waterpark room £178 (catagory 5)

Then for £406 they have a 'Junior suite' for 3 adults (on the website it says the junior suites are for 2 adults)

I am soo confused!

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just booked the Sunset beach resort! :)

Good day

We stayed in January 2013 for 10 days. We also had a basic room, and I too enquired about upgrade pricing. I felt it was too high, and we stayed with the basic room. We were in Tower B, facing Montego Bay. We had a decent view with no additional cost. Really, how much time will you spend in the room anyway?

There are 4 rooms (2 in each tower) that have their balconies under the roof that covers the main lobby. In my opinion, these would be horrible. Otherwise, I don't think any are really all that bad.

Gary

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just booked the Sunset beach resort! :)

Thanks for that Gary, I think I might just wait and see what room I get if the upgrades are too expensive.