We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals MoBay **tipping tips" please

Holyoke...
Level Contributor
35 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Sandals MoBay **tipping tips" please

My husband and I are taking our first trip to Sandals MoBay in a few days and we believe in tipping, even if it's all inclusive. I'd appreciate any feedback or advice regarding appropriate tips for various things like room attendants, bar tenders, wait staff, etc. We are very much looking forward to this trip and all recommendations appreciated. Thanks!

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,927 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals MoBay **tipping tips" please

Tipping is not allowed as staff will be fired if they are caught accepting a tip. The only ones allowed to accept tips are butlers and spa staff.

We just returned Sunday night and observed someone slipping a tip to a bartender. The guest thought he was being very discreet, as did the bartender. If I had been a secret shopper or someone planted by Sandals, I know that this bartender would have been fired. We chatted with a manager regarding tipping, and she assured us that staff will indeed be fired if caught.

The best way to reward someone is to praise them by writing a review to their manager. If you want to leave a gift for someone, it is important that you write down what the gift is, your name and room number, and who it is for so that the person cannot be accused of stealing.

Staff all receive a portion of what you have paid for your trip. In this way, everyone is able to benefit - not just the bartenders or housekeepers who are always seen, but the landscaping and maintenance crews, cooks in the kitchen, etc. , who remain behind the scenes. Please accept that you are staying where the rules are different from what you are used to - you wouldn't want someone to break the rules in your house; please honor the request of this "homeowner" (so to speak).

Holyoke...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals MoBay **tipping tips" please

Thank you so very much for this information! I would never want to jeapordize anyone's job and now knowing this we will definitely follow the rules. I appreciate your candor and timely response.

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals MoBay **tipping tips" please

Winnekini Said it best! You have already paid your tips and gratuities in your package price. ALL staff receive a percentage based on the prices paid at sandals. This way everyone is getting fair share of the tips for the hard work they do. This also helps deter any preferential treatment of guests based on tipping. Sandals wants all their guests to have the same fast and friendly service and give you one less headache to worry about while relaxing on your vacation. Enjoy your trip!

Middletown, Ohio
Level Contributor
601 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals MoBay **tipping tips" please

kelifus1, the only information that is missing is that butlers are excluded from the no tipping policy. If you have reserved a Bay Roc Villa, two butlers will be assigned to you. Because the service they provide goes well above and beyond the norm, tipping butlers is acceptable. We usually tip $20 per butler per day, but the amount of the tip is a personal decision.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals MoBay **tipping tips" please

kelifus1: How would you feel if someone came into your workplace, without your invitation or endorsement, and behaved and acted in a manner that would place your continued employment in jeopardy? If you tip individuals at Sandals who are NOT Butlers or Red Lane Spa staff, you are doing just that.

Winnekini said it best, if YOU feel compelled to act in a manner which recognizes individual employee service, there are acceptable means by which to recognize those individuals that doesn't place their continued employment in jeopardy. Winnekini's ideas are good suggestions.

Tipping in a monetary fashion, because you believe in tipping, in this setting is the ultimate act of selfishness.

Holyoke...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals MoBay **tipping tips" please

My husband and I truly appreciate all of the feedback and information provided by all here and we will not be breaking the rules and will respect them. It's also good to know how to handle gift giving, and I am always open to writing praises and thank yous to management. Thank you all for your replies. We are very appreciative and looking forward to our trip!!

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,927 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals MoBay **tipping tips" please

Keltone - Glad we were able to assist you! Have a wonderful trip! You will love SMB - just remember you are on island time, and sit back, relax, and enjoy! Feel free to ask any questions you may have - we have stayed here 4 times and at many other Sandals and Beaches resorts as well.

Now hopefully Kelifus1 (who was the original poster) sees the responses as well and agrees to abide by the rules!

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals MoBay **tipping tips" please

I know what a can of worms this tipping subject opens, but I do have a question. I have seen lots of posts on here and on facebook saying all staff receive a portion of what you've paid for your trip. How exactly is that possible? Is that just their salary? For example, SGR has over 700 employees. If someone paid $3000 for their vacation (just the land portion), Sandals is giving each staff person $4.29? And that is if the staff received the entire price, which we know they're not. I have not seen this on Sandals website or anything, and I have never heard a staff person tell me this has happened. I am just curious where people are getting this info, and how it works.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandals MoBay **tipping tips" please

Last words on tipping...every once in awhile you'll read a Sandals guest come unglued in their review or here on the Forum because they had the idea that a Sandals visit means you don't have to pull one red cent out of your pocket for tips from the moment you land until the moment your plane departs. For a Sandals visit, tipping is expected and deserved by the Red Cap luggage porters who will handle your bags either from baggage claim, or from the airport Sandals welcome lounge to your ground transportation from the airport. The person that provides your ground transportation to the resort also deserves and expects a tip. Both these individuals will expect and have earned a tip on arrival AND departure from Sangster. These individuals do NOT work for Sandals and are not subject to disciplinary action for receiving a tip.

If a guest is motivated to tip to try and insure 'good' service, here's our advice: Be polite, wait your turn, say 'please' and 'thank you', look staff members in the eye, and SMILE! As Winnekini says, you are on island time. Relax, enjoy, and have fun. And your Sandals staff will deliver the excellent service you expect.

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandals MoBay **tipping tips" please

BSBGirl337, I do not know this from personal experience, but others that seem to be in the know have reported that employees get a bonus that is based on resort occupancy. So in a way, yes, they each get a little something because you are there.

Edited: 4:15 pm, February 13, 2013