We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swim up suites at sandals royal Caribbean?

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
582 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Swim up suites at sandals royal Caribbean?

I've put a deposit down on a swim up suite at SRC as we are huge fans of the swim up suites. I really had my heart set on secrets wild orchid swim up but it's $2000 more than sandals. Just looking at the pics of sandal royal Caribbean and the swim up suites look tight on the patio area. Of course it's kinda hard to tell by pictures. Hoping someone can way in for me on this? I've been to Jamaica 3 times and am only interested in Montego Bay Area as we have a long flight and don't want a long bus ride to go with it. Also, I've been to Negritos twice and ocho rios once already. Thank you everyone in advance!

Wells, MN
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swim up suites at sandals royal Caribbean?

Which room are you looking at for the swim up suites? They are two to four story buildings so when you look at booking you want to make sure you have the bottom floor, the patio's on the private swim outs are larger then the ones that are on the bottom of the center building, If I remember correctly they only have like four or six of the private swim outs, (where you actually just walk into the water) the rest you step down and there is a public sidewalk infront of your patio, those are smaller in size, the other levels have nice size patios also, and the penthouse level has really large patios, The private swimouts are really great rooms, but if you don't mind walking down a flight or two of stairs the upper levels are nice also. I'm sure that someone out here has some decent pictures of them, but the photos online are pretty good representation of what to except. SRC is a great resort, 10 minutes from the airport, and the private island is a great perk, plus you can go to SCI and SMB on free shuttles so you can check them out also. We leave Monday for our I think 8th or 9th trip to SRC. Hope this helps! Have a great trip!

Edited: 10:39 pm, November 13, 2012
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swim up suites at sandals royal Caribbean?

tropical: bythedozenischeaper accurately describes the swim up suites with one small correction. The tallest building (Clarence) has 3 floors, not 4 floors. All other buildings with swimup suites are two story. I probably have some pics on my computer of the swimup suites outdoor areas so you get a sense for the layout. Send me a private message with an appropriate email and I'll see what I can find. The patio areas are of two basic varieties on the ground floor. True swimup where the water literally laps to your patio with kind of a zero entry from your patio into the lazy river. The other variety are what I'll call walk out. As bythedozenischeaper described, your patio is separated from the pool by a public sidewalk which crosses in front of the patio and is between the patio and the pool. A guest must walk across the sidwalk, all of probably 3 steps, and then down a short stairway (maybe 3 steps?) built into the side of the pool to get into the pool. Many worry about the foot traffic on the sidewalk. We have stayed in these rooms many times, and at least for us, the foot traffic is very modest and generally unintrusive. It's easier for other resort guests to get anywhere on the resort by choosing a different path, not the path that uses these sidewalks. The patios or balconies on all levels/floors are large enough to accomodate 4 people (we've traveled with friends occasionally) and would eat breakfast together or have a pre-dinner bottle of champagne or cocktail with them. More than enough space for 4.

Wells, MN
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swim up suites at sandals royal Caribbean?

thanks SRCFan I think I must have been thinking about the WH when I was thinking 4 stories, you are right it's only three, but sometimes late at night it feels like four! And you are right about not to much traffic it's mainly guests in other rooms in that section that will pass by, I am looking forward to getting back and getting some rest, wish we could stay longer!

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
582 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swim up suites at sandals royal Caribbean?

Thanks guys! I booked the royal honeymoon walkout crystal lagoon suite swim up extraordinaire.

Wells, MN
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swim up suites at sandals royal Caribbean?

Hope you have a great trip they are nice rooms, if you have questions about the Butler service there are threads on here about that. We'll be on the second floor next week, unless we get upgraded to a swimout below or a penthouse above, time will tell, I'm just wanting to get to the private island and wade around enjoying the breeze warm beautiful water and no one calling me to do this and that with kids and grandkids!

Your butler will help you plan your dinning during the week our favorite is the LeJardianre (always spell that wrong) it's the French resturant at SRC, there are also a couple of good ones at SMB, and the Thai on the island has really turned around in the past few years. They also added a pizza place by the beach grill which I am really interested in seeing, and new fire pit there also.

SCRfan have you been since they added the pizza place? Also rumor has it that they are thinking about a Cafe' like at the WH, which John will love but I don't think they have done that yet.

anyway congrats and enjoy tropical!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swim up suites at sandals royal Caribbean?

bythedozenischeaper: Nope, haven't been able to return to SRC since our visit last April/May 2012 and the pizza place wasn't even under construction at that time. We keep hoping for a pig to fall out of the sky with money so we can go sooner than our next scheduled visit in April 2013...but you know what they say about pigs flying...

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swim up suites at sandals royal Caribbean?

tropical: Based on the booking information you provided, that category is on the ground floor in either the St. James or Buckingham block. So my earlier comments about having the walkway between your patio and the pool are what you'll experience. Again a short 2 or 3 steps to your pool from the patio, and then a 2 or 3 step stairway entrance into the pool. We're staying in exactly that category ourselves in April/May 2013. If you take a look at the 4 pictures in the Sandals web site online booking engine for that category, the one picture of the patio set up for dinner gives a good idea of the layout. You can see the walkway in the lower right corner of the pic, and pool in the background. I'll still rummage around my computer at home and send you any pics I find that might add more perspective. Irie!

Wells, MN
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swim up suites at sandals royal Caribbean?

SCRfan, know what you mean someone has got to start trying to figure out how to teach those pigs to fly! We didn't get another trip in this summer which I really missed but maybe next year, time will tell. Maybe I can learn to grow those money trees our kids think are real! I'll try and remember to take some pics of the pizza place and firepits, John just hopes they are serious about the Bakery! But I don't think they have done anything about that as of yet. We are going to try and go over reunion week in 13 but not sure yet.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swim up suites at sandals royal Caribbean?

Isn't it terrible how once a year isn't enough now? :)

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
582 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swim up suites at sandals royal Caribbean?

Thanks so much, that clarified it. I would have liked the Romeo and Juliet swim up (private) but it was $1000 more so I couldn't justify it! I'm sure it will be great! Thanks again!