We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn Sunspree

Lake Villa
Level Contributor
338 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday Inn Sunspree

Very happy that we finally got our reservations/conformation with Apple Vacations for April 14, 2013 at Sunspree. Looking forward to a very relaxing week of sun and fun. Oh yes - some cold

Red Stripe!

JOHNSTOWN, PA
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree

Enjoy your trip. We are heading there the 20th.

Lake Villa
Level Contributor
338 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree

Please post an honest review upon your return. We have read a few bad reviews but the vast majority were extremely positive. We have been to the island 13 times and I know that you can not always please each person. Also some individuals set their expectations way to high and then they are disappointed. As the story goes, you get what you pay for. Enjoy your trip/stay at HISS!

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,641 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree

Well said CoolP. I think a lot of people get caught up with the "All Inclusive" tag and right away think Sandal's or the like. Having too high of expectations will ruin most vacations. People need to research a bit and pick a resort they will be happy with and don't go solely by price. I've seen too many reviews where people are disappointed with a resort because of things never offered by the resort i.e, no room service, no mini fridges, no coffee makers etc.

And this is a general statement, not about HI. I've read decent things about HI and we have considered staying here.

JOHNSTOWN, PA
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree

Packing tonight, we head to BWI on Monday after work. Can't wait till Tuesday but something must be wrong because we have barely any luggage. LOL

I will post a review when I return. I'm a researcher and understand what I'm getting before I go.

Lake Villa
Level Contributor
338 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree

I know you will have a blast. Strange that you have little luggage. I got out one of our large suit cases and I weighed it. It totaled 13 pounds,so we can only put 37 pounds of items inside. The max. weight is 50 lbs per bag so we have to be very careful what we pack. I am planning on paying an extra $20.00 for a second bag for the wife. Oh well, have a great time and drink a few cold ones for us waiting for out trip. Looking forward to your post,

JOHNSTOWN, PA
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree

I just bought new super light luggage and it is great. We thought one bag per person but we only have 2 bags for 3 people and they don't weight 40 lbs each. We always overpack so I put strick limits on what we packed based on what we actually used last time.

Lake Villa
Level Contributor
338 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree

Smart move re packing limits!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree

May I suggest if you have all that spare weight in your bags to take full advantage of the entire weight by helping those in need?

It doesn't take much to help a few kids in Jamaica to learn. Go to a dollar store and stack up on pencils, erasers, paper, scribblers, flashlights and all that good stuff and bring it to Jamaica. You know all those bottles of shampoo, conditioner, soap and everything else you have been collecting from those hotel rooms you've stayed at... bet you didn't know that Jamaicans love getting that sort of stuff.

What we like to do is buy a brand new backback and fill it with as many school supplies as possible and then drop it off to a local school who knows better how to disrtibute it then we ever could. Does your maid have kids or a large family full of neices and nephews? Give her all your hotel samples and other goodies you brought along.

Some suggestions that really went over well in the past for us: lots of ball caps and if they have major league names on them those are preferred. how about croc shoes or toothbrushes and deoderant as well as old music cd's you don't listen to anymore or home made compilation cd's? I usually make a custom CD with good songs on it and then copy it about 10 times. When I get to Jamaica, I find the stereo and give them a copy to play. I then give them another copy to bring home so my copy doesn't get...ahem, taken. Then, tomorrow when it's somebody else working the stereo, you point out your cd, ask to play it and then give them a copy to take home. The maid gets one, porters, security, basically anybody that makes me smile.

This doesn't mean you should not tip. This is because you are a good person and want to make the world a better place. It starts with you and it starts on your next trip to Jamaica...

AR
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree

To add to Edmonton's list, the schools also ask for children's books in English, and tennis shoes are a favorite with everyone.

10. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 28, 2013