We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropical Storm/Hurricane Sandy

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
169 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Tropical Storm/Hurricane Sandy

Hi, I am slated to head to Jamaica on Friday and wanted to ask if someone (who is in Jamaica now or lives there) can tell me whether they are expecting widespread power outages and what the situation will be in terms of flooding or other impact would be around on Friday and beyond.

Thank so much in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropical Storm/Hurricane Sandy

Hey good question. I will also be at the Secrets on Friday. From what I read, the hurricane passes over tomorrow and will be north of there past Thursday. So by the time Friday gets there, should be gone.

Power outages and floods on the other hand.... IDK....

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropical Storm/Hurricane Sandy

I truly understand your concerns, but I am not sure that anyone can really answer your questions. So much depends on the what the storm strength is by the time it hits the island.

You can count on there being power outages, but how widespread only time will tell. How much flooding, again depends on the storm and how much rain is dropped, how slow the storm moves, etc.

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropical Storm/Hurricane Sandy

Kingston: rain today, almost sure to be storm later in the week. Only a small chance of hurricane. East and central Jamaica could be worse affected than western parishes. Power outages? Always a possibility, but not necessarily widespread, more localised. Need a crystal ball to answer that part accurately, and mine's broken.

Mentioned in this post
Kingston
Kingston
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
169 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tropical Storm/Hurricane Sandy

Thanks for the replies. Let me add that I will be staying in Montego Bay at Secrets. My main concern would be arriving to the MBJ airport and have trouble getting to Secrets and when I do, then there is no power.

We do plan to head to Negril (if possible) but it doesn't have to be early in the trip. (we are returning on Wed 10/31)

While I know I was asking for my future to be told :-) but I was really asking what the local forecasters were saying.

Thanks for all of the responses. Keep 'em coming. (Glad to hear Kingston will miss the hurricane)

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Kingston
Kingston
Jamaica
Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tropical Storm/Hurricane Sandy

We are scheduled to leave for Sandals Royal Plantation Thursday morning. I hear some airlines are already cancelling flights. :-(

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tropical Storm/Hurricane Sandy

@Rachel The airport is scheduled to reopen Thrusday morning, based on damage, etc, I'm sure. You may not want to arrive the day after. 2 years ago we went to St Lucia the first day the airport opened after hurricane Tomas. The island had no water, and the roads were extremely damaged!

As far as knowing what's going to happen, no one can do that. All we can do is sit and wait. Before you go anywhere Thursday morning, be sure to check with the airline and the resort. Be sure your flights are still scheduled, and that the resort is open. Damaged roads, or the resort being damaged could cause it to close. And make sure they have electricity and running water. You don't want to take a trip without those things. I'm sorry, and I know this sucks, but watch out for yourself first! Do you have trip insurance?

JASolidier, my crystal ball is broken, too, lol!

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tropical Storm/Hurricane Sandy

Friday may not be a great day but Saturday onwards the weather is forecast to improve; go back to normal.

100% chance of rain on Thursday with possibility of flooding, that is the forecast for Mo' Bay.

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tropical Storm/Hurricane Sandy

Hasn't anyone got a crystal ball in good working order?

Other than flooding there's not a great likely-hood of damage, compared to Thomas that was mentioned. So far, the chance of this storm becoming a hurricane is thought to be low. We are on Storm Watch but not Hurricane Alert.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
169 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tropical Storm/Hurricane Sandy

Thank you JAsoldier! Very helpful info.

BTW, I called Secrets and they told me that they have back up power in case of power outages.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tropical Storm/Hurricane Sandy

My wife and I are booked at Secrets-St James the 24th., but the airport is closed..so I have been on the phone with US Air changing flights til Thurs morning....So we have one day less..But it will still be great...It will be a great day to pick up shells on the beach....

Mentioned in this post