We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Decameron vs. Holiday Inn Sunspree Montego Bay

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
VA
9 posts
Save Topic
Royal Decameron vs. Holiday Inn Sunspree Montego Bay

Hello,

I'm deciding between Royal Decameron and Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort for a vacation with my best friend in January. Any thoughts?

We are singles with no children, but we are not partyers either. I realize Holiday Inn will have more children, but would we be able to escape in the adults-only section? I've heard Royal Decameron doesn't have so many kids, but we don't want to be around too much of a drunken party atmosphere either. Also, I've heard that RD's beach is rather small...would HI's be better?

Thanks for any advice!!

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,577 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Decameron vs. Holiday Inn Sunspree Montego Bay

I would go with royal Decameron.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Decameron vs. Holiday Inn Sunspree Montego Bay

RDMB, smaller resort. The pool can get a bit loud in the afternoon, but plenty of places to get away. In MoBay you're not getting a long beach anywhere, there's great snorkeling right off the beach, better food than HI, plus it's on the hip strip.

United States
Level Contributor
11,083 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Decameron vs. Holiday Inn Sunspree Montego Bay

The Holiday Inn is very much a large family friendly resort. Expect not more children there but many many more children. The Royal Decameron is a smaller resort and has a smaller beach but as pointed out above, no hotel in Montego Bay is a very large beach. For singles with no children I would vote for the Royal Decameron.

windsor ontario
Level Contributor
885 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Decameron vs. Holiday Inn Sunspree Montego Bay

Royal Decameron would be a better choice, as Holiday Sunspree is a good taxi ride to most anywhere, and RD is right on the Hip Strip which gives you lots of options for things to do.

Victoria,texas
Level Contributor
345 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Decameron vs. Holiday Inn Sunspree Montego Bay

Definitely RDMB. My friend stayed there every time she came down from UK.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,635 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Decameron vs. Holiday Inn Sunspree Montego Bay

Another vote for RDMB. Less kids and great atmosphere. As stated, it can be a little rowdy at times around the swim up bar, there are places to find quiet and just chill. Great snorkeling right from the beach at RDMB as well. There is a very diverse crowd at RDMB as well. It's not just young partiers. You will find people there of all ages. Staff is great. Right on the hip Stip.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,577 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Decameron vs. Holiday Inn Sunspree Montego Bay

We stayed at Sunset beach resort and thought the food was not very good. Talked to a gal that usually stays at HI and said the food was "better" at SSBR so this tells me the food must be pretty bad at HI. I also heard you have to pay extra for some of the resturants. As others mentioned if you stay at RDMB you can walk up to Margaritaville or other shops without paying for a Taxi. The water was bad at the RIU which is not too far from HI, water at RDMB is great. Crystal clear. If the swim up bar is loud there is another pool that is quiet. We really were turned off by the amount of screaming kids at the SSBR which we have never had an issue with at RDMB. It is a small resort but is nice and clean with a good staff.

Brampton, ON
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Decameron vs. Holiday Inn Sunspree Montego Bay

agree with everything marylynn said - you really cant go wrong with RDMB - location, price, staff, water clarity and overall feel cant be beat!

Texas
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal Decameron vs. Holiday Inn Sunspree Montego Bay

Another vote for RDMB. We are going back in Jan.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
76 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal Decameron vs. Holiday Inn Sunspree Montego Bay

Just got back from RD. There were 2 kids at the entire resort. Yes the beach was small but the water was so clear and amazing. Food was not great & really didnt see much of a party crowd. I was on the beach all day as I do not go to Jamaica to hang out at a pool. I think you will be better off at RD.