We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

secrets to hip strip

long island, ny
Level Contributor
3,224 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
secrets to hip strip

I just want to make sure I got this right.

I walk outside the resort to get a taxi. It must have red plates. I negotiate a price. Is $10 US for 2 ok? If not, how much?

Where do we have them drop us off?

We would just want to walk around a bit, have lunch and a drink or 2?

Any rec's for lunch? Are US dollars ok or do we need to exchange?

I assume taxi's are easy to get once at the hip strip for the return back to Secrets.

Any help is appreciated!

United States
Level Contributor
12,372 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: secrets to hip strip

The red plates need to have white letters and digits. One of the letters is 'P'. Set the price before you get into the taxi. Have small bills to pay for the cab (like $US1 and $US5 bills).

They will drop you off wherever you like along the 'hip strip'. The street is not that long.

Try Margaritaville for lunch. They will take US dollars at almost every shop on the 'hip strip'.

There are lots of taxies. Again look for the red plates and bargin hard to get the best price.

long island, ny
Level Contributor
3,224 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: secrets to hip strip

Do the taxi's line up outside the resort or do we stand around and wait for one?

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: secrets to hip strip

I'd recommend the Pork Pit for lunch. Better food and cheaper than Margaritaville.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: secrets to hip strip

There will be some on the resort grounds and some parked out side. You'll get better deals with the ones parked outside.

long island, ny
Level Contributor
3,224 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: secrets to hip strip

Pork pit looks great! any casual places for seafood...maybe we'll sample our way around!

WI
Level Contributor
380 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: secrets to hip strip

I second Pork Pit! Think Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
303 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: secrets to hip strip

Pork Pit or Twisted Kilt for lunch.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,929 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: secrets to hip strip

When you walk off the resort they will come to you. Be firm on your price. Walk away if you have to. There are plenty of drivers that will bargain with you. I am betting the driver will wait around for you as he will want your money for the return trip. I would choose the pork Pitt over margaritaville any day. You have to try the red pea soup its to die for. And yes take lots of small bills.

9. Re: secrets to hip strip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 am, December 15, 2013