We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route Taxi Success

Brampton, ON
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Route Taxi Success

Just wanted to share my success story with using a route taxi for the first time. Wanted to get from Iberostar to the hip strip to walk around for the morning and the posted rate at Iberostar was $60 round trip (which I knew was ridiculous). We walked up to the road and asked a (route) taxi how much and he said $20 to the hip strip - we turned to walk to the next taxi and he calle us back and asked how much we wanted to pay - we told him $5 (thanks to trip advisor I knew that was about the rate it should be for a route taxi) and he said ok. Did the same thing coming back so we paid $5 each way (for two people) and felt really good about it working out so well!

It's funny, the whole morning I had in my head something someone on here said "if there's one thing there is no shortage of in Jamaica it's taxis" - that is so true! For anyone considering the route taxi in a similar situation I say go for it - make sure you get in a red plate and agree on the price before you get in and you are good to go!

Edited: 9:48 am, October 10, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,929 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Route Taxi Success

Didnt she say they "did" pick up other passangers??

Way up North
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
22. Re: Route Taxi Success

it was a route taxi but the driver decided to pick up "a bonus fare "from the hotel figuring that the tourist wouldnt mind or wouldnt know the difference . If its not his taxi that he is driving, then thats an extra fare he will put in his pocket. If he is a driver/owner than he gets the "bonus'. Kudos to the poster for bargaining...and winning :))

Edited: 5:51 pm, October 13, 2012
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Route Taxi Success

Sounds like a good deal to me. Around St Louis, $5 would get you a couple-few miles...

J B
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
429 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Route Taxi Success

Hmm.

I take taxis every day, um, when I venture out living in Jamaica. You CAN negotiate with a route taxi -- passing by, sitting on the side, whatever. Just because the JA law says they're to do something doesn't necessarily mean that is what is done. I've taken a taxi two blocks because it was after dark and paid way more than someone who would travel from the Hip Strip to Rosehall because it was my special request and there were passengers in the taxi.

I try to go for either someone I recognize or an older driver and as I'm female I try to take a taxi w/ women and children vs. only men alone especially if it's more than a few minutes ride.

I always use a red plate. Not so sure why people have a hard time believing the OP about the experience they had.

I will pay 2x the fare if a taxi crosses me over the street so I don't have to wait several minutes to cross over. It's all about preference. I personally don't see why you should pay $60 to go from Rosehall to Hip Strip. And the taxi drivers for the most part do help you and they don't all play loud music and drive like a bat out of hell. And that too has happened to me. Some will lie to you just to get you into the taxi and then you have that experience.

If I charter a taxi to Rosehall and driver turns out to be a maniac, I tell them upfront that I'm getting out. Honestly, there's only so much you can control. Otherwise you pay the $60 not to have a question in your mind about service.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,615 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Route Taxi Success

JB - what is the regular route fare from Iberostar to the Hip Strip?

26. Re: Route Taxi Success

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, December 15, 2013