We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day in montego bay(cruise ship)

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St-Jerome,Qc
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
one day in montego bay(cruise ship)

docked at Falmouth, what can I see in about 7 hours, beach and what more. Want to see Jamaican way of life

J B
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
429 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one day in montego bay(cruise ship)

Hmm. I suppose you have to define what you mean by "Jamaican way of life" as everyone lives differently. Even if you spend 2 hours w/ a family to see their routines, that doesn't mean every family lives the way that one family does.

It took me a long time to understand "the Jamaican way of life", and, obviously, that's my opinion based on what I see in the town where I'm located. So a few hours is not going to do it.

You can probably get a sample of what vendors do in Falmouth (which has a very small town) just by walking around -- check out the supermarkets, the haberdasheries, pharmacies, local bars, patty and other food shops, market and go to one of the free beaches on the hip strip.

Visiting Jamaica and living in Jamaica are two different things. I think a good month living in your own flat in Jamaica will give you an idea. That will give you more time to explore even one or two towns and see your routine compared to local resident's routine.

Edited: 7:53 am, September 16, 2012
Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one day in montego bay(cruise ship)

If you jaust want to see some of Jamaica, hire a private driver while you are in port. Have them drive you out into the country side for awhile and then into town. Ask them to take you to get something to eat. You'll get to see a bit of the island.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,341 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one day in montego bay(cruise ship)

I agree with the above. Get a driver to take you away from the "tourist areas".

You need to see that Jamaicans are not all like the ones who you will experience near the cruise ship terminal. Not all Jamaicans want to sell you something or beg you for money. Those folks are attracted to the tourist areas because that is where they can attempt to part money form the tourist they encounter. And to be totally honest, sometimes it can resemble a feeding frenzy.

However....

Most of Jamaica (outside the tourist areas) consist of Jamaicans who are just going about their business trying to make a living. You may get the odd person that sees you as a tourist and may approach you to ask for money or try to sell you something, but on the whole, you will be left alone to experience Jamaica.

Victoria,texas
Level Contributor
345 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one day in montego bay(cruise ship)

One day in Falmouth, Trelawny will give you time to walk around town (open market) and looking at difference craft works they sell there. Enough time to go to Hip Strip. About 40-45 minutes travel time from Falmouth to Hip Strip. If you ride with the local you have to catch a regular route cab or van at the corner of gas station there. it will cost you J250.00 per person each way.If you catch cab at gas station they will charge you a tourist price and you have to negotiate a little.

Victoria,texas
Level Contributor
345 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one day in montego bay(cruise ship)

One day in Falmouth, Trelawny will give you time to walk around town (open market) and looking at difference craft works they sell there. Enough time to go to Hip Strip. About 40-45 minutes travel time from Falmouth to Hip Strip. If you ride with the local you have to catch a regular route cab or van at the corner of gas station there. it will cost you J250.00 per person each way.If you catch cab at gas station they will charge you a tourist price and you have to negotiate a little.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: one day in montego bay(cruise ship)

We did a "Real Jamaica Tour" with SNL Jamaican Tours and it was great. Our tour guide Lindsay McFarlane took us to see very old towns that were developed since the 18th and 19th centuries, where most of the people live off the farms, just the typical way of life for some of the people. Lindsay reffer to it as backstage because, not a lot of visitors get to see the "real Jamaica"

He showed us different fruit trees, coffee trees with coffee berries on them, we picked cocoa (that is us to make chocolate), ripe papayas and even fresh coconut water. I think a tour like that is what you are asking for, it is very possible.

Montego Bay
Level Contributor
895 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: one day in montego bay(cruise ship)

If you want some really good local food, hire a taxi and ask them to take you to Papa Gus on Foreshore Road.

You can also do you own walking tour...lots of history in Falmouth.

Depending on the day you're there, you might see us roaming around. lol

8. Re: one day in montego bay(cruise ship)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 12, 2013