We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from Holiday Inn Sunspree

New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Just returned from Holiday Inn Sunspree

Any Questions?

Ontario
Level Contributor
798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned from Holiday Inn Sunspree

So How was It? What were your first impressions of the place? We are planning to go next March break, family of four. Did you do some snorkling? See anything? How was the ocean? Are there waves at all for boogie boarding(we spent this years March break in Punta CAna and the waves were fun to play in, now hear that there are no waves in Montego Bay...which would be ok...but I bet it's fun to kayak or peddle boat ......

How was the beach? How was your room? What building were you in? How was the food? What was the entertainment like? .....Ok, I just gave you the third degree.....Just getting excited to go.....want to know how early to book for next March Break....thanks ahead for any feedback you can provide......

New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned from Holiday Inn Sunspree

So How was It? *Overall, it was average*

What were your first impressions of the place?*thought it was ok.. when we first arrived it was PACKED and we had to wait in line for an hour before we even got our room. We were priority club but weren't treated like it at all*

Did you do some snorkling? See anything?*No snorkling but we did see some pretty fish off of the dock*

How was the ocean?*The ocean was shallow, we went to Doctors Cave Beach and that beach put HI Sunspree beach to shame. There are good sized waves and the water is soo much prettier than H.I*

Are there waves at all for boogie boarding *no*

How was the beach?*Rocky sand, shallow water, Doctors Cave Beach had soft white sand and perfect water*

How was your room? *it was standard. The bathroom was so small that the door practically hit the toilet when you opened it(What building were you in? *we were in building 3. The Witches disco is right across from it and between the music being played there and the entertainment at night we heard loud base in our room until atleast 2am everynight which made it hard to fall asleep.. i ended up buying ear plugs at the gift shop*

How was the food?*The jerk chicken was spicy but really good.. the a la carte restaurants were also good but not great. portions are small.. the buffet had something for everyone but it had a lot of strange selections. The thing i hated most was the ketchup.. its really sweet and had an awful aftertaste. its definitely not the same that they serve in the US.*

What was the entertainment like? *It was pretty lame.. the only entertaining night was the margarittaville promo night*

All in all i would not go back to this hotel. . or montego bay for that matter. there is not much to do at night and many people at the hotel agreed with me. Almost everyone i talked to at the resort said that they would not return to it. If i were you I would go to Negril. From what i hear there is sooooo much more to do and the beaches are a million times better.

Ontario
Level Contributor
798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned from Holiday Inn Sunspree

hi riley, thanks for the honesty....where is Doctor's cave by the way? ....

Did you do some excursions? Recommend any?

New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned from Holiday Inn Sunspree

Doctors Cave is on sunset blvd. i believe.. its about a block away from margarittaville.. We didn't do any excursions but i spoke with a family who went to Ricks Cafe in Negril for a day trip and to watch the men cliff dive and they said that they had a lot of fun

Southeast Michigan...
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned from Holiday Inn Sunspree

Riley - we must have been there at the same time... 4/8 - 4/14. I agree with your summary completely.

PastyWhite - see my review posted today under Holiday Inn Sunspree. Almost verbatim what Riley said...

The biggest deal to me was the beach - I go to Jamaica for the beach and didn't expect for the HI to have brought in sand to make a man made beach. It actually HURT my feet! Negril is like powdered sugar. Dr. Cove is similar - If you stay at HI, go to Dr. Cove every day that you plan to spend on the beach. Otherwise, take the 1.5 hour drive to Negril and stay there...

Ontario
Level Contributor
798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned from Holiday Inn Sunspree

Thanks for the tips....and advice.

Cleveland Ohio
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned from Holiday Inn Sunspree

How much is it to get to Doctors Cave and how far from the Holiday Inn? What building should we try to get for quiet?

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned from Holiday Inn Sunspree

Doctor's cave beach is on the hip strip 10-15 mins from HI. Probably a $10 cab ride. There is a $5.00 pp charge to use this beach. Enjoy

New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned from Holiday Inn Sunspree

Building 6 or 7 definitely if you want quiet.. we were in 3 and heard loud bass from the music all night long

Philly
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned from Holiday Inn Sunspree

Did you join the priority club? Was it worth it?