We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any schools or nonprofitorgs by the whitehouse?

Watertown, CT
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Any schools or nonprofitorgs by the whitehouse?

Please let me know, seems like everyone brings things to montego bay. I would like to help the more remote area of the island.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any schools or nonprofitorgs by the whitehouse?

God bless you!

I completely agree that we should make an effort to reach as many different places as we can to help!

To be honest, I don't know of any places in/around whitehouse, but I think there are a couple of members here who might be able to lead you in the right direction...

tivertonhouse, alimirage, joohnnybgood and others may be able to help, hopefully they'll see this thread.

Much respect, Happy Easter!

Steve

Negril, Jamaica
Level Contributor
836 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Any schools or nonprofitorgs by the whitehouse?

Right down the road a bit, in the town of Black River, is Our Lady Of Hope orphanage...and they always appreciate whatever it is you can donate. Father Roland and Sister Lucy are both warm and open people and will gladly welcome you. IF you go on a school day, you might want to call a day in advance, if you can, so they can suggest the best time to stop by so as not to disturb classes...or find out if you'd like to volunteer a little bit of time in one of the classrooms. The children are sweethearts...have your arms ready for lots of hugs. One of the drivers at Whitehouse should know where the orphanage is (right on the main drag, just as you enter town) or...the orphanage MIGHT have a car available to come and get you...again, a phone call a bit in advance will help them help you work out the particulars.

portsmouth/nh and...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any schools or nonprofitorgs by the whitehouse?

There's a H.E.A.R.T. vocational/culinary

training school for high school grads in

Whitehouse. We sponsor a student now (and

proudly, she's at the head of her class

already). The courses train determined

kids for good-paying jobs, with job

placement. (There are H.E.A.R.T. schools

island-wide, including a very good hotel

restaurant run by the school at Cardiff

Hall/Runaway Bay/North Coast.Aside from sponsorship, books on

cooking (think island ingredients) and

professional cooking (The Pro Chef by the

Culinary Institute of America) are always

welcome. Ask one of the chefs/cooks at

Sandals -- or your booking rep before you

go.

portsmouth/nh and...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any schools or nonprofitorgs by the whitehouse?

Wolde Christos, at the BPCA/ Belmont People's

Community Association, in Bluefields Bay-Belmont,about 20 min. from your resort (see www.reliableadventures.com), can direct you to the local village primary schools and village projects always looking for materials, cash, assistance. Ann Lyons at Culloden Cafe, Whitehouse, a great little

restaurant and just across the bay from you by water and by car about 5 min.away, spearheads a local

non-profit planting/conservation effort for an endemic Jamaican tree whose seeds yield a valuable medicinal/healing oil.