We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to stay in Jamaica?

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
How long to stay in Jamaica?

Hi everybody,

My girlfriend and I are planing a trip to Jamaica on September (we are in our late 20's).

How long would you recommend for us to stay in Jamaica?

We have the time to stay for 10-12 days but since I read that people say there is not to much to do outside a resorts I am wondering if a week in a good resort in Montego bay (was looking at the all inclusive in the Secrets wild orchid) is more than enough and all there is in Jamaica or are their other things to do or see to enjoy 10-12 days there.

I'll appreciate your advise...

Thnaks,

Dory

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,635 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long to stay in Jamaica?

To me, the people who say there is nothing to do outside the resort don't really know what they are talking about. We go for a minimum of ten days and that doesn't always seem like enough. If you have the time and the budget to do it, go for it.

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How long to stay in Jamaica?

Agree with anod1 that there is plenty to see and do outside the resorts, although we rarely overcome the sand gravity to do it. Normally we do stay for just a week, but we did a 10 day stay once. For us, that was maybe 1 day too long. I might suggest that you split your stay. Maybe Secrets in MB, and another place in Negril. You could go with an AI in Negril, or try a non-AI. There are a lot of options in Negril. 10-12 days in the same resort would get old, IMO.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long to stay in Jamaica?

Thanks a lot for your reply.

How would you recommend to spend these 10-12 days?

Any suggestions or things to do you would recommend?

We can also get outside of Montego bay to other places in Jamaica...

Appreciate your help...

United States
Level Contributor
10,829 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long to stay in Jamaica?

For more things than you can do in 10 days and that are in and around Montego Bay, see the following

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147311-s1/Montego-Ba…

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,601 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long to stay in Jamaica?

We go for 14 nights in April and 10-12 days in August. I could stay longer with NO problems! Hubby starts to get a tad antsy at around 10 days IF we arenot very active. He is the type that cannot sit through a 30 minute TV show!!!!!

There is so much to do in Jamaica. You have hiking, mountain biking, snorkeling, diving, ATV riding, horse back riding, zip lining, bob sledding, eco tours, cave tours, bird sanctuaries, waterfall climbing, crocodile tours at the Black River, pub crawls, shopping, white rafting, tubing, dinner cruise on a pirate ship, music, sand gravity and soooooo much more!

One of our favorite resort chains is Couples. You get so much included in the price and will have a real Jamaican experience. Secrets is a very nice resort, however it is very generic, not a nice beach and really can feel like any resort located on any Island.

You can be as active or as chillaxed as you want.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,108 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long to stay in Jamaica?

We normally stay a week, but stayed for 10 days last year, and easily could have stayed longer!!! The only thing that could stand to stay for less time is my waistline :) If you're all inclusive, the food and drinks are everywhere!!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,002 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long to stay in Jamaica?

Like BSB, we usually stay a week. That way we can go 2 or 3 times a year to get out of the MN winters! Anyway, we could easily stay 10 days if money permitted. Lots to do on Jamaica.

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long to stay in Jamaica?

We stayed at Sandals Royal Caribbean and to be honest we only went outside the resort once for just a few hours and the rest of the time we were at between our resort and SMB since sandals has the play at all exchange program. But we never even made it to the other Sandals for free and we never visited the hip strip. We were there a week and felt there was not even enough time to do everything we wanted AT THE RESORTS let alone all the stuff there is to do outside the resorts. So no I would say if you have the money...go for it. 10-12 days honestly it goes by fast and between all the things to do outside the resort and fun excursions and tours...you could never get bored!

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,509 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long to stay in Jamaica?

Our first few stays in Jamaica were for a week...we then increased to trips of 10 days, then to 16, last year to 18 and in 2013 we are going for 20 days! There's lots to see and do and we love doing split stays. Last year we split between MoBay, Negril and the South Coast. Next year will be MoBay, Ocho Rios and the South Coast.

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
7,909 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: How long to stay in Jamaica?

as long as you can!!!!!!!!!

10-12 days is perfect to be able to get a tast of Jamaica and do a few excursions! Many often overbook themselves and the point of jamaica is to chill, explore and feel the vibes. There is a lot to do but 3 excursions in that time frame is a lot!

PEACE!