We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SSB - pool / beach ?

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
northeast
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
SSB - pool / beach ?

I've read there isn't much shade on the beach at SSB. How about around the pool/waterpark? Do we need to take a beach umbrella with us? Would rather not carry it, but have 3 kids 10 & under who want to spend a lot of time on the beach. Thanks!

Tiffin, OH
Level Contributor
95 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SSB - pool / beach ?

alysmom:

You'd have a hard time keeping kids in the shade of a 8 ft. wide palapa (or an umbrella) on the SSB beach. Yes, shade is limited, but you should always prepare as if the kids were exposed to full sun at noon when on the beach in the tropics.

What has worked for my kids during our visits to SSB:

SPF 50 waterproof sunscreen applied before leaving the room for breakfast, then every 2-3 hours.

A 'Bucket Hat' for the kids to wear on the beach. Bucket Hats are much less cumbersome than straw or baseball caps. If you're unfamiliar with the term 'Bucket Hat', think of Henry Fonda's fishing hat in 'On Golden Pond'-that's a 'Bucket Hat'; it protects the face & ears from direct sun. Let the kids pick one they think looks 'cool', & they'll get much more use from it.

A strategy my mom used when we were kids in the Virgin Islands was to keep us indoors from lunchtime until about 3:30PM (known as 'The Heat of the Day'). That is when the Sun is most potent. After lunch, we would play Dominoes or card games, or siesta, until afternoon swim time.

The Jamaican Sun can ruin a vacation in one afternoon, so please be careful.

With Respect,

UncleRemus

northeast
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: SSB - pool / beach ?

Thanks UncleRemus! I don't know if I'll be able to keep the kids out of the pool during "the heat of the day", but it is sound advice! I am definitely going to pick up bucket hats for them (and me too!)

Tiffin, OH
Level Contributor
95 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SSB - pool / beach ?

alysmom:

I would also take Aloe Vera lotion along. Even if the kids don't seem like they've had too much sun, the Aloe Vera helps rejuvinate the skin.

Enjoy your trip.

I'd enjoy a drink with you at SSB, but we leave the day you arrive: April 23rd.

Respect,

UncleRemus

northeast
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: SSB - pool / beach ?

Uncle Remus, Sorry we'll miss each other. I would have bought you a drink...lol!

Thanks for the aloe vera tip. Great idea. Will definitely pack some. Enjoy!

Tiffin, OH
Level Contributor
95 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SSB - pool / beach ?

alysmom:

While at SSB, I hope you and the children utilize the Kidz Klub. They structure the activity schedule to keep the children out of the sun for long intervals, and are the most amazing caregivers.

Here is my testament to the wonderful women of the SSB Kidz Klub:

We were last at SSB (our third visit) way back in February of 2004. My very brief trip report can be viewed here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147311-d149…

Two weeks ago I mailed a letter to the SSB Kidz Klub letting them know we would be paying them a visit next week, and today we recieved a call from one of the Kidz Klub women saying how excited they were to have us returning!

The Jamaican scenery is fabulous, the weather is amazing, the Rum is superb, the music is Legendary; but it is the wonderful Jamaican people that make us want to return.

Respect,

UncleRemus

northeast
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: SSB - pool / beach ?

Uncle Remus, Wow! That is quite a testament to the Kidz Club ladies! I will definitely offer my daughter the option of participating in the Kidz Club activities, but since I work full time and don't get to spend nearly as much time as I want with my little girl, I hope to share some quantity as well as quality time with her during our trip! She's the reason I was born and my favorite person to hang out with!

Tiffin, OH
Level Contributor
95 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SSB - pool / beach ?

You've got the right attitude, alysmom.

Enjoy your time with the kids with no cooking, dishes, housecleaning, work, school or homework stealing your time from them.

Another thought:

The women at the Klub are happy to have parents participate along with the childen. Helping our kids tie-dye shirts on Thursdays is our favorite, & they'll let you do your own shirt as well. It's a great momento of your stay at SSB. Make sure you bring white t-shirts.

Respect,

UncleRemus

northeast
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: SSB - pool / beach ?

Uncle Remus, you have just been a wealth of information! Thank you so much! And, I will be sure to pack us a couple of white T-shirts! I'm guessing they tye dye every Thursday then? Anyway, I know your trip is coming up, so I wish you and your family a safe journey and a fantastic time! God Bless.