We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Beach or Starfish with Kids

Poughkeepsie
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sunset Beach or Starfish with Kids

Thinking about going to Sunset Beach or Starfish with our kids ages 7 and 9. Wanted to know if there are height restrictions for the slide or if I can throw a life jacket on my 7 year old so she can ride it. I like the occassional water slide, but I don't want to have to accompany her each time. She is 45 inches tall. Also, does anyone know about the quality of the kids programs at one or both places? Any other suggestions? Thanks

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset Beach or Starfish with Kids

Hi Jenny,

Both resorts have an "official" 48inch heught minimum (I think there might be a law or something) however that said, my son was almost exactly 45inches in Decemeber at Starfish and no-one said a thing. In fact, on our previous visit when he was only four there was no problem either.

The kids club at Starfish is the best I've ever seen in the Caribbean with some of the friendliest professional child-care workers you'll ever meet. My son talks about them all the time. They have a full range of activities organized every day, that the children can participate in or not.

Both resorts are fairly basic overall, but there is more facilities at Starfish and with all the renovations they've done at Starfish over the last year it is much nicer ans fresher looking than most of Sunset Beach. The beach at Starfish is much nicer, the views at Starfish are better (no city, airplanes, cruise ships) and there are more dining choices at Starfish.

Trapeze, Trampoline, Rock Climbing, Mini-Golf, Ice Skating, Two waterslides, pool tables IN pool, Fish Pond, Private Island, Games Room, Movie Lounge, Basketball, all forms of watersports, Kids Disco...

There is a beautiful small garden with four hidden jacuzzis in it for the parents along with an awesome open-air piano bar perched right above the main pool.

Between both resorts and there is NO doubt that Starfish is a much better all-round vacation. Before the renovations it could be said that the decor was nicer at Sunset but now they're about equal. Typically, you'll find better pricing for Starfish also.

Your children will LOVE Starfish.

Blessings and respect to you, ENJOY!

Steve