We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobay/Jamaica/questions

Peoria, Arizona
Level Contributor
427 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mobay/Jamaica/questions

It 's getting close to that time again and a need to repost (a word?)my out look on going back to MoBay.

I'm in vacation mode;

Got my tickets AirJamaica, flight is on schedule, if not will be drinking at the airport!

Papers you say? "I don't need stinking papers" I have a passport!

Rain a problem? No, I love liquid sunshine...I will be in Jamaica, drinking red stripe.

Resort selection; been going to the same one, on the beach with a view!

Room: who cares, only time I'll be using it is when I'm asleep!!!

What to wear: tank tops and trunks coller shirt & linen pant for fine dining(1ea).

Food: who cares, they got rum and red stripe and patties I don't think I'll starve!

Type of booz; see food answer!

Tours: I hire my own driver and ask/drag anyone who wants to see the sights. ALWAYS had a blast plus its cheaper--split the cost!!!

Monies/exchange: I get better deals in (J).

Tipping: Take care of your waiter/maid/bartender and they will take care of you!!!!!!!

Chill out: you're on vacation! Open your mind and soul!! Take in the whole trip from start to finish.

Jamaican Time: the faster you slow down the better! Find out what "soon come" means.

Water: drink as much as you can because its HOT HOT HOT!

Sunscreen:Every year, I see people get TOASTED on the first day/s of vacation, sun is intense! Let me say this again; HOT HOT HOT! I'm dark skin and use 30spf, MOST IMPORTANT; don't forget about your head !

All in fun, if not, "No Problems Mon" I'll be in Mobay having a great time, making new friends and drinking rum/red stripe!

Take it slow and easy'

Gil

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Mobay/Jamaica/questions

Hi sbv, God bless you as well for your empathy and generosity.

Sometimes I make a 'gift bag' for my housekeeper or friends. I put some things in a bag with tissue...these bags don't take up any room in the suitcase and it shows alot of respect for the intended person.

Giving a 'gift' instead of a hand out is classier imho.

I ALWAYS attach a note regardless of how I give the items. Employees are searched before they leave the premises. It shows they were given the items and did not 'take' them.

Even wrapping the stuff in tissue paper with a string/ribbon works ...i.e. bartenders.

Yes I have given gently worn clean clothing and they too are appreciated.

Reading materials are hard to come by on the island so I always leave my current magazines (they LOVE Oprah mag) and pocket novels for the staff.

I wouldn't give open creams, jars etc but that's just me.

Thanks for thinking of the less fortunate. One Love.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Mobay/Jamaica/questions

svb oops the pipe question....yes there are many lovely pipes to be purchased. many are made from ironwood...last forever.

BIG TIP: you cannot use your pipe on the island and then take it home....only virgin pipes can travel. The dogs at the airport will sniff it out and it will be confiscated. Irie.

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
9,865 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Mobay/Jamaica/questions

Hello Gil,

I like your positive attitude and love the way you express it.

Hope that you will continue to enjoy yourself while in JAM.

Thank you.