We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental or not traveling family of 8

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Topic
car rental or not traveling family of 8

Should we rent a car?Chalis seems to have the best rates for a minivan. We will be there for 10 days and would like to see jamaica.We are on a budget ,so ithink it would be cheaper than taking tours.Is jamaica safe to travel,and where do you recommend we go?

Montego Bay
Level Contributor
895 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental or not traveling family of 8

As a general rule, I don't suggest newbies drive down here. It's not for the faint of heart and signage isn't that good and it's very easy to get lost or find yourself in a place you shouldn't be.

So..hire a driver...let them know ahead of time what kinds of things you want to do and where you want to go....they wont' take you anywhere that;s unsafe.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental or not traveling family of 8

As Iriestar states, it's not recommended that you rent a car, especially your first trip down there. If nothing else, get on the island, see how they drive for a day or so and then make up your mind. (You can rent once you are on the island if you decide to) Hiring a private driver is the way to go. Then you can sit back and actually enjoy the ride.

United States
Level Contributor
11,249 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental or not traveling family of 8

For a few of the many reasons NOT to rent a car in Jamaica see the following:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147309-c2512/Jamaica…

Your hotel can arrange for a qualified Jamaican driver with a car or van to take you anywhere on the island you wish to go. If you have any small children in your group, remember to bring your own car seats. For some ideas on where to go and what to do from Montego Bay see the following:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g147311-c150080/Monte…

Edited: 8:47 am, January 24, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental or not traveling family of 8

thanks for your replies. My husband and I have been there once before. I am a crazy driver like they are. It is actually cheaper for us to rent a minivan and get to the hotel vs roudtrip fee for all 8 of us, I am still considering renting a van.Any other opinions out there?

Ohio
Level Contributor
579 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental or not traveling family of 8

I second about not driving your own car.We did it once and never again.

yourjamaicantourguide.com/warning-learn-the-…

Montego Bay
Level Contributor
895 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental or not traveling family of 8

lololol I'm sorry, but your ONE trip here doesn't make you an expert on driving here.

I don't care how crazy you drive stateside, it's nothing and I mean nothing like driving here.

A1 and A2 which are major highways, are nothing more than a speedway. There is no respect for the road laws here...none..at all.

You won't ever get pulled over for speeding, you wont' ever get pulled over for tailgating ( they do ti allll the time) you won't get pulled over for incorrectly changing lanes and almost sideswiping the car next to you or almost hitting the oncoming car head on, you won't get pulled over for running the red light ( again, happens allllll the time ) you wont' get pulled over for driving on the shoulder ( another all the timer)

What will you get pulled over for? Sometimes, there is a check point, checking for license and insurance. That's about all you'll ever get pulled over for down here.

Don't do it. Don't put your family at risk because YOU think you're a great driver. Hire someone who knows what they doing and where they are going.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental or not traveling family of 8

If you rent a car RIP!

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental or not traveling family of 8

Grab some trip insurance and compare rates

www.squaremouth.com

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental or not traveling family of 8

We must be the unluckiest people on the island... We've been ticketed for speeding 2x (outside Santa cruz and on the toll road), overtaking illegally (nearby falmouth) and even seat belts!! (in new kgn... Only my husband the driver got a ticket, I was in the passenger seat and not wearing mine, but given a pass since I was nursing the baby... "baby mus' eat" he said lol)... And that's not including the right (write) or left stops we've had... Thats all over a 7m period...

Chelle

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental or not traveling family of 8

trip insurance with emergency medical evacuation would be my biggest recommendation if you think you are going to rent a vehicle.

Also don't pass on the insurance for the vehicle. A lot of insurance that comes with your credit card specifically says Jamaica is NOT covered as does a lot of car insurance policies.

The closest thing to a hospital is in Mo'Bay and that isn't even close to anything you will find in the US/UK/CAN.

We have rented vehicles in Aruba, St. Lucia, Antigua, San Andres Island and St. Croix. Having been to Jamaica 5 times I don't have the nerves of steel it would take to do it there!

www.insuremytrip.com

www.squaremouth.com

Edited: 3:29 pm, January 31, 2012