We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For those who bring gifts . . .

Chicago
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Topic
For those who bring gifts . . .

I know some people bring gifts or items that the resort employees really need or look forward to. Can you give me some ideas on what it is you bring? Most of the guys like our hats so we give them, but I was thinking of bringing things for the women too. Thanks much.

Best Seller
Club Mobay: Sangster Airport VIP...
554 reviews
from $30.00*
Jamaica Combo Tour: Dunn's River...
144 reviews
from $130.00*
Special Offer
Blue Hole, Secret Falls and Dunn's...
15 reviews
from $102.51*
$120.60
Zipline, Tubing and ATV Safari...
20 reviews
from $184.36*
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: For those who bring gifts . . .

Well I admit, I am a novice to the whole travelling game, this will be my first trip abroad, but what is with this whole leaving gifts thing? Is it expected? do most people do it? I've never heard of this concept before so can someone please fill me in. I don't want to come off as some arrogant prick to the staff. Thanks.

Mineral, IL
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: For those who bring gifts . . .

I love this idea. Can we do this at an AI? I don't want staff getting into trouble. Does Jamaica have any programs that travelers can donate school supplies to?

Portsmouth, UK
Level Contributor
721 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: For those who bring gifts . . .

Gift giving is more personal than just leaving dollars (in my opnion) it shows you have put a bit of thought into it.

Not everyone give gifts it just depends if you have any spare room / weight in your luggage allowance!

Maids ect do not expect gifts and you do / should not get a "worse" service by not giving gifts.

As for school supplies best to ask JamaicaSteve he has a school that he donates to but I also give school supplies / balls etc to the kids I see playing in the street.

Fort Wright...
Level Contributor
395 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: For those who bring gifts . . .

There are many schools who accept donations - contact the local city for where you are staying

luggage weight is a factor

many luxury AI such as Couples forbid tipping and employees will get fired if caught - all that said we still try to sneak them but have had some refused and returned

Bringing gifts a way of appreciation if you do not want to risk giving money

ya mon

Portsmouth, UK
Level Contributor
721 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: For those who bring gifts . . .

A tip that JamaicaSteve told me was to inform the management that you intend to give tips and gifts and a written note to the employee should do the trick and hopefully save them from being fired!